cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdelvecchio
Contributor III
Contributor III

cannot view unpublished apps as root admin

Kind of an esoteric issue I'm seeing. I am a Root Admin but for some reason, after upgrading to Feb 2019 Patch 3, when I log into the Hub and go to Personal -> Work, I cannot see any unpublished apps from other users. I had worked with another admin on an app this way before upgrading but now it is gone from my view. When I go to User Access for this app through the QMC, it says I have CRUDEAO.

I'm also seeing an unrelated issue on my test server with data connections. I create a handful of ODBC connections and another user cannot see them in the Hub despite being a Root Admin and having CRUDO. I make him the owner of the data connections and now cannot see them in the Hub despite also being a Root Admin and having CRUDO. These seem like such similar issues - did something change with admins' ownership versus their work in the Hub?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hey!

In addition to what was already mentioned by @Vegar, who is absolutely correct about a root admin not automatically having access to front end / hub data, is this the behaviour you are seeing? Unpublished apps are missing in Hub Work area after upgrade (kb 000068297).

Personal Work space in only intended for all apps owned by the accessing users. Developer collaboration is expected to be done through stream-based publishing workflow.

Applying a shared work space increases the risk of losing development work;

• Auto-save overwrites changes made by simultaneously active developers.
  • Note, auto-save is introduced for script and data manger in Qlik Sense February 2019 and later.

Qlik Sense has no native support for version control for app files, which means the product is not designed for collaborative/simultaneous work on the same physical file.

The above risks are mitigated by following best practices for collaborative works as documented in Qlik Sense Help – Publishing Workflow.

Long term recommendation is to adopt the collaboration best practices as described in Qlik Sense Help - Collaborate.

There's some more information in the article itself. 

/Sonja

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Root admin is primary tought of as an backend admin, it got full access to the qmc but not front end. If look at the security rule definitions you will notice that a bunch of the root admin security rules are limited to the QMC only.

You mentioned that you had a different access before. Did you ever make changes to the default security rules to achieve this? It is not recommended to make adjustments in the default security rules, if you want to change you should make adjustments to a copy of the rule and disable the original rule.
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hey!

In addition to what was already mentioned by @Vegar, who is absolutely correct about a root admin not automatically having access to front end / hub data, is this the behaviour you are seeing? Unpublished apps are missing in Hub Work area after upgrade (kb 000068297).

Personal Work space in only intended for all apps owned by the accessing users. Developer collaboration is expected to be done through stream-based publishing workflow.

Applying a shared work space increases the risk of losing development work;

• Auto-save overwrites changes made by simultaneously active developers.
  • Note, auto-save is introduced for script and data manger in Qlik Sense February 2019 and later.

Qlik Sense has no native support for version control for app files, which means the product is not designed for collaborative/simultaneous work on the same physical file.

The above risks are mitigated by following best practices for collaborative works as documented in Qlik Sense Help – Publishing Workflow.

Long term recommendation is to adopt the collaboration best practices as described in Qlik Sense Help - Collaborate.

There's some more information in the article itself. 

/Sonja

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂
mdelvecchio
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Nope, I was root admin and therefore just had access to everything. I upgraded and lost that access. Sounds like that was an intentional fix: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000068297
mdelvecchio
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I think this is it. I will figure out if we need that workaround for now, but it sounds like I just accepted the default functionality as best practices when that was not actually the case. Thank you!