Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AarizShah
Partner - Contributor III

setting up centralized logging in multinode environment

Hi,

We have an environment were the postgre sql repository seems to be installed on all the nodes. My question is

1) Which server can act as the centralized logging database?

2) How to set other nodes to start using the centralized logging database that is set on for example the central node

3) Which configuration files contain the user, password, databse, hotname and connection detail that can be used to point to the centralized database?

Regards

Aariz

7 Replies
BTIZAG_OA
Creator
Creator

Hello Aarizshah,

Can you give more info about your env. Are you using 3.1 or earlier version(sync pers.)?

otherwise you should have 1 postgresql for 1 Qlik site. If all your Qlik servers running in the same site then you can enable centralized logging either on your central node(gets postgresql with default installation) or any other remote postpgresql server.

I highly suggest you read topic Multi-Node configuration at the following link

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense_Dep...

AarizShah
Author

Qliksense June 2019 patch 2

Qliksenseserver: 13.32.4

AarizShah
Author

Thanks for suggesting the article. I still could not understand what configuration will make it start using the central node database instead of its own database. I see no configuration setting or value that would point it to the central node. Can you please guide me here

Regards

BTIZAG_OA
Creator
Creator

Go to C:\programdata\qlik\sense\log\ open qlikcentralizedlogging.config in nnotepad

at the bottom change connection strings for qlogsreader&qlogswriter  

"Host=localhost" to "Host=YourPostgreSQLServer" and save it. Repeat this on all other qlik nodes and restart Qlik Loggin Service.

You can verify it with 

• Open CMD.exe as Administrator
  • Go to Logging folder: cd C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Logging
  • Run the following command: Qlik.Logging.Service.exe validate

https://support.qlik.com/articles/000059076

Make sure you created "Qlogs" db on your postgresql server and created users(qlogsreader&qlogswriter) with enough privileges to access.

AarizShah
Author

Hi,

Once again, many thanks for the help. I am progressing but now stuck at one more point. It is giving an error that logging service is disabled. I went to services and started the Qlik logging service. However, it is still giving error that logging service is disabled.

Second thing is that I enabled the centralized logging and it also gave success message but when I validate it, it is still in false status

C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Logging>Qlik.Logging.Service.exe update -d on
Successfully updated the configuration file
Successfully updated the database settings

C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Logging>Qlik.Logging.Service.exe validate
Failed to validate the logging database : The Qlik Logging Service is disabled
CentralizedLoggingEnabled: False
LoggingToFileEnabled: True
MaximumDatabaseSizeInGB: Max db size not enforced
DB Host: localhost
DB Name: QLogs
DB Writer User: qlogs_writer
DB Reader User: qlogs_reader
DB Port: 4432

Can you please guide here

Regards

BTIZAG_OA
Creator
Creator

Hello again,

Can you check from services.msc  "Qlik Logging Service" is up&running. If its disabled try to change startup type to manuel and run it.

AarizShah
Author

Hi,

Yes, Qlik Logging service is up and running. I even tried to restart it, but am still getting error that logging service is disabled when i try to validate it.

The other error is that when I try to enable centralize logging, i get success message but when I check it next time, it is still false. Please check the prevouis post when I have posted the CMD output

Regards