Partner - Contributor III

How to set up an Oracle OLE DB connection in Qlik Sense, step by step

Last Update:

Feb 26, 2019 12:49:56 PM

Updated By:

arturomiquelveyrat

Created date:

Feb 26, 2019 12:49:56 PM

This post explains how to connect to an Oracle database using the OLE DB connector and a tnsnames.ora file.

• Download the latest version of the Oracle Database Client for Windows (x64). You can use this link or Google it.
  • Unzip the file and double-click on setup.exe.
  • Select custom installation and follow the installation instructions.

1.png

• Choose an intallation folder (E.g., C:\oracle).

2.png

• Select components Oracle Net, Oracle ODBC Driver and OLE DB.

3.png

• Click on Next and finish the installation.
  • Type environment variables in Windows' search bar and open the app. Then, click on Environment variables.

4.png

• Create a user variable named TNS_ADMIN and set its value to the path of the folder where your tnsnames.ora file is located.

5.png

• Open Qlik Sense and create a new OLE DB connection. In the Data Source textbox, type the name of the connection as it is in the tnsnames.ora file.

6.png

Labels (5)
Comments
Chernov
Creator
Creator
Good work! But, why not to use Qlik ODBC Connectors Package ?
0 Likes
arturomiquelveyrat
Qlik’s connectors are, in my experience, much slower and less reliable than Oracle OLE DB. We have had several issues with them in the past.

qlikapple
Creator
Creator

can you please explain for QlikView as well

0 Likes
carcglelaboic
Contributor II
Contributor II

in username and password which details we have to give like are we going to give service account details here or any database access user details could you please reply me

0 Likes
amitghaste
Contributor II
Contributor II

@carcglelaboic , in the screenshot above it is setting up the database connection, so it would be the database user id and password.

@arturomiquelveyrat 

One thing I have noticed, is that for Oracle, we do need to restart the server (not just the Qlik services) for the drivers to work properly inside Qlik. Have you seen the same?

snyt
Contributor
Contributor

Would you need to install the connector on all nodes if using a multi node?

0 Likes
grgabj
Contributor II
Contributor II

should i download Oracle Database Client on the server containing the database that i want to connect to or the server that i'm using qliksense on ? because i use different servers for each one @arturomiquelveyrat 

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2019-02-26 12:49 PM
Updated by: