Introduction to Set Analysis (video) - Part 1

Last Update:

Mar 3, 2015 5:40:23 PM

Updated By:

Michael_Tarallo

Created date:

Mar 3, 2015 5:40:23 PM

Attachments

This video gets right to the point and shows you how to get started with Set Analysis. There are various blogs and articles on this topic that go in deeper, but I suggest you start here first.

Also consider this post by hicNatural Sets

Next Video: Set Analysis - Part 2 - Cool Stuff You Can Do (video)

Tags (1)
Comments
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Josephine this is correct - you could have 2 chart objects with different expressions. 1 displaying the total sum for everything and 1 displaying the restricted sum or defined value for the SET.

For example - Sum(Sales) - will take in account any selection and all of the data - this is default behavior - Sum({$<Year={2014}>}Sales) for example - will limit Sales to just 2014 - BUT will take in consideration OTHER dimension selections you may have on the interface. Sum({1<Year={2014}>}Sales) - will only show sales for 2014 regardless of  (or ignoring) OTHER selections you may have on the interface.

You may also like this document: Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples

HTH

Mike T

Qlik

0 Likes
Not applicable

This a good video to get familiar with Set Analysis

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like  the content of this video on paper and you insist with these low quality-videos.

Make a change write a PDF.

CB:

0 Likes
josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Car Bal, if it came to a choice of just one medium, I would prefer the video.

There is a "paper" on se analysis here: Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples

Jo

0 Likes
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The quality looks pretty good to me.I don't think I want to watch Set Analysis at 1080p J

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Car - we appreciate your feedback, do note that in part 2 of the video:Set Analysis - Part 2 - Cool Stuff You Can Do (video) - there is a section under the video that links to a PDF document. However, watching this video first is recommended before diving deeper into that document.

The section is marked as:

NOTE: For a more complete and deeper dive of Set Analysis check out this excellent document: Set Analysis: syntax, examples

In regards to video quality - it depends on your bandwidth and where you ware watching the video. In order to increase the quality, click on the YouTube logo in the bottom right of the embedded player, and you will be brought directly to the YouTube site - the player interface will have options to improve the quality:

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

This video is very intuitive and has certainly given me a much better understanding of set analysis. I'm very new to SQL and QlikView so this is a great help. Couldn't say much more than thanks a great deal!

I do have a 'small' question though......

I have a chart with complex expressions which I need to write a set analysis expression for such that it selects two parameters from a list which is. These two parameters are specifically associated with a particular location, a date selection variable and is able to compare the result with a target and therefore display it as a pass or fail. Complex?

An example of the expression is........

sum({$<TargetExists={1},$(vSAContractualDateSelections),[Dashboard Parameter]={'$(=maxstring({$}[Dashboard Parameter]))'} >}ResultsNum)

I've tried to change it to

sum({<Site={'Area1'},TargetExists={1},$(vSAContractualDateSelections),[Dashboard Parameter]={'EDTA'} >}ResultsNum)

..... but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas please?

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike - that is great to hear. In regards to your question, please post that here New to QlikView so you can get an appropriate response.

Please attach the example if you can, when posting - this will give those helping more context on what you are attempting to do.

Regards,

Mike T

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks Mike!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Michael

This video was very good.

I am looking for sample data with scenario to practice set analysis

Thanks in advance

Regards,