Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Makes Sense to go round in circles

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Makes Sense to go round in circles

Last Update:

Aug 24, 2015 10:40:58 AM

Updated By:

ogster1974

Created date:

Aug 24, 2015 10:40:58 AM

Attachments

I’ve seen a lot of questions recently from people with backgrounds in Qlik View identifying some features that they use a lot in View but are currently not supported in QlikSense. 

In this document I will show you how with the use of an extension you can mimic the behaviour of a Cyclic Group in Sense.  I've also attached a working example.

Big thanks to View Profile: erikwett - Qlik Branch and his qsVariable extension that made this possible.  It dug me out of a hole where my clients users were asking for the same charts from different points of view.

18/01/2016 Update

I've an update Cyclic Group example to resolve an annoying by product of the cyclical filter example I've given in regard to the label that's displayed in the filter bar.

Big thanks to vadimtsushko for pointing out the solution which makes filtering on this a lot easier for the user to understand.

instead of showing the expression used to determine which value to group on in the filter bar, which is messy and confusing to the user. It now shows the value selected in the filter bar.

02/01/2018 Update

As of November release we now have the ability to update the labels of Dimensions and Measures dynamically as i've shown in the new sample app, before I had to hide or generalize the label which was a bit of a fudge. 

Although you can add cyclical filters into individual charts via alternative dimensions already I still feel this is a valid soluton for those with a use case needing to display the users selection over multiple charts and sheets at once.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

Comments
flanfranco
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

This is an exelent post!!!
Great!!
Thanks!!

0 Likes
vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Thank you for the mention of me

0 Likes
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

No problem.  I love seeing nice little enhancements that are easy to implement and solve real business issues.  Your suggestion helps me and I'm sure a number of other people that have implemented a similar piece of functionality.

I'm wondering if you could use a similar technique to alias measures in master items for example.

0 Likes
vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Well, it is well-known technic for dynamic measures too.

Say you load your formulas into data island, like this:

2016-01-18 21-15-36 Qlik Sense Desktop.png

Then formula for dynamic measure could look like: $(=MinString(ActiveMeasure))

In Qlik Sense we have the obvious limitation - there is no way to make labels for dimension or measures dynamic. For dimension and measures formulas usual Qlik View's technics just work.

0 Likes
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Yes static labels are limiting at the moment.  Hopefully on the release to do list.

0 Likes
vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

By the way, I just trying to work my way through that limitation (trying to make labels in standard Qlik Sense tables dynamic).

The snapshots above and below are taken from sample application for this (with dynamic dimension, measure and labels).

Currently I'm not sure about viability of this technics, but soon I probably publish project and blog post about it anyway

2016-01-18 21-30-07 Qlik Sense Desktop.png

0 Likes
vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Andy Weir написал(а):

Yes static labels are limiting at the moment.  Hopefully on the release to do list.

Well, my Emulating cyclic dimension group in Qlik Sense Desktop dated 01.08.2014 and we still at the same place now.

0 Likes
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Looks very interesting.

I'm sure the underlying data model will need to be structured a certain way to achieve this.  I look forward to seeing your blog on the subject.

If you want some feedback on it let me know happy bounce some ideas about.

0 Likes
vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Great, I'll ping you when it be ready.

0 Likes
vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi, Andy.

Sorry for the delay, actually I have no time for that project recently, so I've just published the post with the current state of affair. Take a look at the document, sample application and extension.

That's what I have so far. Emulating dynamic labels in Qlik Sense

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2015-08-24 10:40 AM
Updated by: