Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Qlik Sense App: Generic Data Profiler

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Qlik Sense App: Generic Data Profiler

Last Update:

Oct 11, 2017 5:36:31 PM

Updated By:

stevedark

Created date:

Oct 11, 2017 5:36:31 PM

Attachments

This app has a number of objects that work together to allow you to see the frequency of values on any field in your own apps.  The field is selected from a Filter Pane and then a Bar Chart object shows the frequency of values within the selected field.  There is also a Filter Pane on the selected field, allowing searching on that field.

The objects can be copied and pasted into any Sense document, allowing this functionality on any data set.

A full tutorial on how to build the components in this app, using only standard Sense features, is given in a blog post which you can find here:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlik-sense-data-profiler/

This app is a Sense port of our popular QlikView app, which can be found here:

QlikView App - Generic Data Profiler

I hope that you find the application useful.  You will find other applications that I have uploaded under my profile on QlikCommunity or on our Downloads page..

Steve

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-blog/

Comments
Not applicable

Thank you very much

I have been using this your development in QlikView for several years. Very easy to reconcile and debug the data model

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Thank you Alexander - pleased to hear you have been finding the QV version useful, hope the Sense one proves as useful in future.

0 Likes
sumit_ranjan_pa
Former Employee
Former Employee

This is really Nice. I need to do an POC on this

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.  The objects can be copied from one Sense app to another, so you can use it wherever you like, and the techniques used (described in the blog post) can be used for other applications also.

sumit_ranjan_pa
Former Employee
Former Employee

I had plan to use Python for data processing and just use QS for the VIZ. Now if this works as my plan, then i have got the entire package at hand. Much appreciated!

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Such a wonderful usage of the meta information.

Keep educating us Steve.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Sumit,  if it is not quite what you need then it's all open for you to modify.  When I am doing data profiling I will usually also bring the data into QlikView and export structure files - these give you a lot of useful information for deciding what to do with fields.

There is quite a lot more profiling functionality built in to the Data Manager.  The problem with this functionality is that it is only available to the developer.  Often that is all you need though.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Thanks Kaushik - glad you like it.  Hoping to do more similar blog posts and apps soon.

0 Likes
ajunaidm
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Excellent tool ... But I am trying to make it more flexible and I am unable to do understand few things.  like at one time it show details of one column only. How can I make to work for multiple columns of a table or tables. 

This may help in creating a comprehensive profiling report.

0 Likes
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

HI @ajunaidm,

You could achieve multiple columns with a bit of set analysis when deriving the dimension names. So, the first dimension is using minstring($Field).

The second dimension could be achieved by a minstring that avoids the first. So if the first dimension was put in a variable vDim1 you could get to the second with this:

minstring({<$Field-={'$(vDim1)'}>}$Field)

That can then be taken on and on for subsequent dimensions:

minstring({<$Field-={'$(vDim1)','$(vDim2)'}>}$Field)

I don't think it would be possible to do it for all fields, and this could get very very slow indeed anyway. Doing it for up to say the first six selected fields would give a fair bit of scope.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction for what you want to achieve.

Steve

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2017-10-11 05:36 PM
Updated by: