Qlik Community

Ask a Question

Qlik Sense Documents

Qlik Sense documentation and resources.

Announcements
Qlik Users, make your voice heard! Participate in Wisdom of Crowds® Market Study: Start Survey

Qlik Sense Comprehensive Developer Tutorial

Not applicable

Qlik Sense Comprehensive Developer Tutorial

Disclaimer: This document is no longer being updated, but has been made available due to popular demand. For comprehensive educational courses and the latest content, visit the Qlik Continuous Classroom at http://qcc.qlik.com/

2015-01-08 17_03_08-.png

This is a full tutorial for developers wishing to build Qlik Sense applications.  It's a complete and self contained tutorial that uses real data with real data problems. The tutorial covers the following topics:

• Loading data from files
  • Renaming and editing data
  • Building charts (line charts, pie charts, scatter plots, tables, filters, gauges, text & images)
  • Avoiding repetition using master items
  • Viewing the data model
  • Consistent colors and good visual design
  • Mobile development.

The installer includes all of the files you need to run the tutorial, including all data files, a full set of instructions, and completed applications for you to play with. There's also an accompanying YouTube video that illustrates every step of the process.

Requirements

You must have Qlik Sense installed on your system. You must install the tutorial files (using the installer below).

Download the tutorial

• Download the tutorial installer here.
    Once you've downloaded the installer, run it to install the files in the correct locations.

-OR-

• (optional) - See the Tutorials.zip file and extract to temp directory
  • Copy the Tutorial directory to C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\

What's in the installer?

The installer will install a number of files on your machine, consuming about 12 MB. The installation process will put a shortcut to the tutorial instructions on your desktop and open it in your PDF reader. Here's a list of the installed files, what they are, and where they are installed.

FolderFileExplanation
Qlik\Sense\AppsAutomotive.qvfA complete and advanced application using a variety of visualization methods.
AutoTutorial.qvfA complete version of the application built in the tutorial.
Qlik\Sense\Content\Default\Images\AutomotiveMultipleThe image files used by the Automotive application
Qlik\Sense\Content\Default\Images\AutoTutorialMultipleThe images files used to build the tutorial example
Qlik\Sense\Tutorials\Qlik Sense developer\Data sourcesMultipleThe data files used to build the tutorial example
Qlik\Sense\Tutorials\Qlik Sense developer\Installation splashMultipleVarious files associated with the installer and the installer splash screen
Qlik\Sense\Tutorials\Qlik Sense developer\InstructionsQlik Sense developer quick start.pdfThe tutorial instructions file.
Qlik\Sense\Tutorials\Qlik Sense developer\KMLworld.kmlA KML file of countries of the world - used by the Automotive app

Attachments
Comments
Not applicable

This tutorial was very helpful an enlighting.  Thanks guys

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi,

I am new to Qlik Sense and I have just been following along with the instructions in the manual. Because we aren't given administrator privileges I downloaded the zip file and I am using that. However, I just noticed that the zip file doesn't come with the "Automotive.qvf". Does anyone know where I can find that file so that I can see the complexity of what was built?

thank you

0 Likes
Not applicable

Very good tutorial.

One small bug.  We are asked to add a measure 'Average cars in use', but the measure does not exist yet.

This occurs at 45:12 to 45:16.

Simple work around is to create the new measure.

PS

It is helpful having the original automotive application included, so that users can copy/paste expressions

0 Likes
Not applicable

Great basic video, thank you. Any suggestions on more learning videos, for example Data Modeling in Qlik Sense ?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Daniel,

I have created many short succinct videos on many topics here: New to Qlik Sense Videos

However, I would be interested in learning how you found this video. Was it from a search in google, the community, linked from another page? We are always trying to improve the user experience and the ability to find content easier.

You may also want to view this one as well which will help you get started with the Qlik Community.

Welcome to the Qlik Sense Community Forum (video)

Look forward to working with you and learning about your progress.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi,

This video and the material were extremely useful for Qlik Sense Starter!!

0 Likes
Emmanuelle-Bustos

Thank you!

Not applicable

Including the zip folder was a great addition. I'm sure the installer works wonderfully, but I imagine most are going to be in an enterprise environment with limited install permissions. Great work.

Not applicable

Thanks for posting this, it is very, very helpful!  I installed Qlik Sense 3.0 and followed the tutorial all the way through.  Everything is working, except the Vehicle Sales by Year chart: First, Year is not formatted correctly; Second, some how it automatically brought in another Year line chart below which I couldn't delete.  Any suggestions what I might have done wrong?  Thanks so much for your time in advance!Untitled.png

0 Likes
Not applicable

I never found it, but one other useful thing I found after a bit of Googling was a support link that discusses the 'colors-by-expression' thing. Qliksense - can a color expression be a master item measure ?

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2015-01-08 04:59 PM
Updated by: