Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Documents

Documents about Qlik Sense.

Announcements
BI & Data Trends 2021. Discover the top 10 trends emerging in today. Join us on Dec. 8th REGISTER

Qlik Sense - Variables Interface (video)

Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense - Variables Interface (video)

Learn how to incorporate variables into your Qlik Sense applications to create more sophisticated analytics. Attached to this document is the sample app used in the video. Please copy the .qvf file to your C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps and refresh Qlik Sense Desktop with F5 to see the app.

Note: In order to view this in full screen and a higher resolution, it may be necessary to view this video on the YouTube site. Click the YouTube logo in the bottom right of the embedded player. You will now have additional settings to adjust the video.

Tags (2)
Attachments
Comments
Contributor III
Contributor III

Sander

I agree that being able to export/import variables and master items between apps is very important.

I found this thread - Re: How do I export variables created using the QlikSense variables interface? which gives an option to export existing variables to then use elsewhere - and a suggestion to define the variables externally in excel to be able to share between apps.   While that may work - not a big fan as that workaround points out the lack of functionality in Sense - as you already are aware.

Hope this may be helpful.

Jon

0 Likes
Creator
Creator

@Jon Morrison,

Thank you for your reaction. The question aren't the variables. With QlikView we always use an external file. The issue is related to share the master items between apps.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hello Jon and Sander - thanks for your communication. Yes you both have described exactly how variables work with Qlik Sense by design. I am not sure of the future improvements just yet, but I have been part of discussions where a more global central repository will be implemented for master items and variables so ALL apps can use them. In re: to the syntax $() - that is how a variable is referenced - I believe the difference of using the $() or not is how the parser is interpreting strings vs numerical data - I will ask around, possibly hic might know this. HIC - is there any best practice on defining / using variables with $() or without?

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

0 Likes
Creator
Creator

‌A central repository would be perfect but could also be very difficult because every app contains his own datamodel and has maybe his own business rules and expressions.

For now I would be very happy if we are capabele to create master items in our scripts like we can create variables in our scripts. This shouldn't be so difficult to implement in a near release of Qlik Sense. If this functionality exists we don't need the creation of variables for our expressions anymore.

How many votes do I need to get this feature request on the priority list? 😉

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Actually there is a capability called DERIVE and DECLARE FIELDS which via script populates the field list. However it is not exactly controlled like Master Items. Derived fields ‒ Qlik Sense

I will add this our ideation site and be your advocate.

Mike

Creator
Creator

‌Yes, we can create master calenders now from script, variables was always possible so it's a bit strange this functionality isn't available for master items.

Let me know if you can use my help.

Go Mike

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2015-09-11 02:53 PM
Updated by: