Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS

SaaS Enablement (Part 5 - Dynamic Views)

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support

SaaS Enablement (Part 5 - Dynamic Views)

Last Update:

Apr 12, 2021 10:24:42 AM

Updated By:

Dalton_Ruer

Created date:

Apr 12, 2021 10:24:42 AM

If you are reading this and perhaps don't even know what a Dynamic View is, don't worry, you are in good company. It's been perhaps one of Qlik's best keep secrets. 

Not sure why so many have kept it a secret but you know I'm an open book. I want you, or specifically your end users, to have access to all of the goodies and Dynamic Views is certainly one of those. 

If you do know what Dynamic Views are then stay here and watch the video to see that Dynamic Views are still very much supported in Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS. In fact, if anything you may see that the code to implement has gotten even easier. Then feel free to read the blog I wrote for DataOnThe.Rocks

If you are not familiar with Dynamic Views then read the blog first. That way before you start thinking about implementation you understand WHAT Dynamic Views are and WHY I think so highly of them and what they offer your end users. Once you understand the concept and the consumption then the video is your next step. 

Dynamic Views Blog

Labels (3)
Comments
MichelLalancette

@Dalton_Ruer This is an interesting feature.

When the data size is not a concern and all your data is QVD based, would you recommend this technique when building a CEO dashboard with metrics from all the business units, over modeling everything together (like in your example)?

Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support

Great question. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you to understand your environment because there is never a 1 size fits all solution. My email is Dalton.Ruer@qlik.com if you would like to talk. 

In general:

1. I think the idea of "real time" data varies so greatly between truth and thought. I worked at a health system and they loved "live" reporting out of their accounting system. But the reports took 25 minutes to run the "live" report. That means by the time they saw it, it was 25 minutes old. With QVD layers you can refresh the data, in most cases every few minutes from most sources using incremental techniques*. Or if a source is actually a data warehouse/data mart then the data isn't really "live" anyway. So if your QVD layers are really fresh, then using them is typically the best way to go. 

2. While I love this technique for those things when actual "live" data is needed, or just needed for mindset this is a great approach and gives you the ability to see the values in context. But would need to temper that depending on how many different applications it may be touching as that could confuse the end user.

3. Depending on  a CEO's style of work they may simply want to see a bunch of KPI's that already exist in a plethora of applications. Since Qlik Sense objects can be embedded I recommend more of a web page experience that renders the existing objects from many applications. If they are analytical and like to filter this, check that, then your teams html/coding skills to apply filters across applications may be pushed or may be fine. 

Again I would be happy to chat one off to understand the needs, your environment etc. 

0 Likes
Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2021-04-12 10:24 AM
Updated by: