Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Set Analysis - Part 2 - Cool Stuff You Can Do (video)

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Set Analysis - Part 2 - Cool Stuff You Can Do (video)

Last Update:

May 13, 2022 5:58:28 PM

Updated By:

Michael_Tarallo

Created date:

Mar 25, 2015 3:29:11 PM

Attachments

Set analysis offers a way of defining a set (or group) of data values that is different from the normal set defined by the current selections. Watch this video to learn more about the cool stuff you can do with Set Analysis as well as to get a better understanding of its expression syntax and how it can be used.

Previous Video: A Beginners' Introduction to Set Analysis

NOTE: For a more complete and deeper dive of Set Analysis check out this excellent document: Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples

Sample App: (Qlik Sense is .qvf - QlikView is .qvw)

• See attached .qvf file for sample Qlik Sense application
  • If using Qlik Sense Desktop:
    • Copy .qvf file to C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps
  • Refresh Desktop Hub (F5)
  • If using Qlik Sense Server
    • Import .qvf using the QMC and then access from My Work Stream in hub
  • For the .qvw - just opened with QlikView Desktop

Set Analysis Expressions:

Conditions  (hard-coded lists,searches,wild card,comparison operators, not equal):

Sum({$<CategoryName={'Bath Clothes'}>}Sales)Sum({$<CategoryName={'Bath Clothes','Babywear'}>}Sales)

Sum({$<CategoryName={"*Clothes"}>}Sales)

Sum({$<CategoryName={"*Clothes",'Babywear'}>}Sales)

Sum({$<Year={'2013'}>}Sales)

Sum({$<Year={2013,2014}>}Sales)

Sum({$<Year={"<2014"}>}Sales)

Sum({$<Year-={2014}>}Sales)

Conditions using variables:

SET vDefaultCat = 'Bath Clothes';

Sum({$<CategoryName={$(vDefaultCat)}>}Sales)

$ Expansion - using functions to evaluate comparisons values:

Sum({$<Year={"$(=Year(Today()))"}>}Sales)

Conditions with multiple dimensions:

Sum({$<CategoryName={'Babywear'},Year={2014}>}Sales)

Conditions with measures:

Sum({<[Model Variation]={"=SUM(PartSales) >=1000"}>}PartSales)

Labels (1)
Comments
fescudero
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks Michael for the video and the attached apps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

Very informative video!

i will try to be as specific as possible - how can I create a simple Line Chart as the following:

-imagine that i have a column ( column name: [initial insert date] ) of date values, format: dd/mm/yyyy

-the dimension would be: MonthName([initial insert date])

-the measure would be: count of [initial insert date] --> IF the value is from the last 6 months

in addition and for general knowledge, is there a work around possible not utilizing set analysis?

Thanks,

Tal

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

is it planed to add a GUI for simple set analysis task to qlik sense in the future?

I am asking this question as set analysis skills can not be excpected from business users, and that is the main target group of qliksense. Especially for correlation analysis, where one KPI that is filterd by the current selection needs to be combined with another KPI that represents the whole set independently of the selection. This can be done with defining set analysis by writing formulas. It would be cool if that can also be done graphically with icons inside the exploration menu, so that business useres can define there needed data set easily. Best regards!

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul,

That is a great question. I would LOVE to see something like this out-of-the-box and I will ask R&D. I know there are many things planned to improve this experience - but not exactly sure of those things until we got through planning sessions.

What I can offer you in the meantime, is a 3rd party Set Analysis expression builder that was developed by one of R&D stars. You can see it here:

Set Analysis Wizard for QlikView | qlikblog.at

It builds the expression for you.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

0 Likes
shuck1985
Contributor III
Contributor III

Still new to QlikView but with your videos I am learning fast. being a mathematician at heart, I like the logic behind set analysis and this was my favourite video so far.

Thanks

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Sweet! 🙂

0 Likes
Not applicable

Outer Join Association, a different type of set analysis:

Consider a table called CONTRACTS and one called CANCELLATIONS. Is there a way for and end user to do the equivalent of an outer join of this data to ask questions like "What percentage of all the contracts have cancellations?" Can this be achieved by the data visualization and loading screen or does one have to write a script? Or is it the case that the association is not join specific and you write these conditions into your visualizations by virtue of the attributes you choose and the conditions you place on them?

0 Likes
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

llafollette The outer join is automatic if the tables are linked by a like named field. I'll assume the two tables are linked by the common field "ContractID" and have a one-to-one relationship.  A visualization can calculate the cancellation rate by counting a field from the CANCELLATIONS table divided by the count of a field in the CONTRACTS table.  For example, the expression:

Count(CancellationDate) / Count(ContractDate)

assuming "CancellationDate" is in the CANCELLATIONS table and "ContractDate" is in the CONTRACTS table.

You can make this more formal by adding a counter field in each table LOAD statement:

CONTRACTS:

LOAD ...,

1 as ContractCounter,

...;

CANCELLATIONS:

LOAD ...

1 as CancellationCounter,

...;

then the chart expression would be:

Sum(CancellationCounter) / Sum(ContractCounter)

Again, the join is automatic. The Qlik Associative model is "Full outer join all the time".

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Michael,

First, thanks for this explanatory video. I´ve managed to follow through but I have a small problem regarding the CategoryName leyend.

When filtering by a specific category, e.g. Year 2015 or Babywear, the data displayed is indeed the one specified, but the leyend displays all other categories. Why is this?

Set Analysis - Part 2 - Leyend Issue with Sportwear.png

Many thanks in advance

Regards,

Deborah

0 Likes
dgarl4361
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to  use this on a list of things that does not have aggregation?  A report with a single column of product names?

0 Likes
Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2022-05-13 05:58 PM
Updated by: