This document applies when using Qlik Sense Desktop, and serves as a companion to the article that contains steps when using Qlik Sense Enterprise fou...
This document applies when using Qlik Sense Desktop, and serves as a companion to the article that contains steps when using Qlik Sense Enterprise found under Scramble Sensitive Data In Qlik Sense.
It may be necessary to scramble the data in a QVF to be able to share it for troubleshooting purposes. Unfortunately, data scrambling is not available as a feature in the current Qlik Sense product.
This document shares a method and related scripts on how to scramble sensitive data in Qlik Sense app until the feature is built into Qlik Sense.
- Make a copy of qvf file, put it into a location as data source and Use Binary load to bring in all the data and variables;
- Review the app and work out the list of fields (and related tables) that you want to scramble. Replace the contents in metadata file sample scramble.xlsx with list.
- Save the modified Excel file into the same location of binary data source. Please make sure DO NOT change the column title or sheet name in Excel file;
- Download attached scramble.qvs file and also save it into the same location of binary data source;
- Open the copied app which need to scramble in Qlik Sense and remove all the existing load script;
- Create a folder data connection "Binary" that points to the binary load source location;
- Paste the following script into the app script editor, change the file name accordingly
CALL Scramble('<name of metadatafile>.xlsx');
- Reload the app and review the result
If the app has "Legacy Mode" enabled, above steps 1~6 can be skipped and use file path directly in the load script in step 7, for example code as below:
CALL Scramble('C:\Users\xxx\abc\<name of metadatafile>.xlsx');
NOTE: Sometime sensitive data such as organisation name will also be in metadata's table or field name. User will need to manually call rename() function in load script to remove it;
Also check this link for an alternative scrambling method using the APIs and the DevHub