Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Enterprise Documents

Documents for Qlik Sense related information.

Creating a Polygon (choropleth) Map

Employee
Employee

Creating a Polygon (choropleth) Map

There are currently two types of maps that are supported with Qlik Sense:

This video shows you how to create a Polygon (choropleth) map using KML.

Note: It may be necessary to view this video from the YouTube site, in order to access the full screen and resolution controls. Simply click the YouTube logo found in the bottom right of the player. Controls in the embedded player vary per browser.

There are some sample .kml files you can use as well.

Note: It may be necessary to view this video from the YouTube site, in order to access the full screen and resolution controls. Simply click the YouTube logo found in the bottom right of the player. Controls in the embedded player vary per browser.

Attachments
Comments
Not applicable

Is it possible to zoom in at state level after making selections on some countries in the maps?

Employee
Employee

Hi Shifa - not exactly a zoom, per se, - but currently - if the KML file and the data supports the appropriate layers - you can use a Group Drill Down Dimension - as the main dimension for the map. Then when you select it - it will show the next layer.

I can't post the sample here - if you open a discussion in the New to Qlik Sense section of the forums, ask for me - and I will reply with the sample I have.

Regards,

Mike

Not applicable

Expression that i am using is quite long. Is it possible to give it a label in polygon map ? So that on hovering over map it shows only the label and not the whole expression ?

Employee
Employee

Hello Ashish - this (expression label) will be available in the next version that will be released shortly:

This example shows a point map, but the same is for polygon too.

Mike

Not applicable

Thanks

Not applicable

Is it posible to create my own polygon map? The idea is to be able to highlight certain orchard blocks on a farm. I guess what I'm asking is where do I get the world.area type information for a selected area?

Employee
Employee

Hello Conrad - this may be possible, but I have not tried it yet. If you can create a kml file that represents the layout you are looking for, in theory it should work. You need to find a tool that can help you create a KML to design the polygons you are looking for. However SVG graphics might work better (it has been done with QlikView in the pas)  - however there isn't an extension object for Qlik Sense on this yet. I would suggest you check out our new developer open exchange Qlik Branch. Here you can connect with other members and perhaps learn more about how you can achieve what you are looking for. You can also download Extension Objects for Qlik Sense and QlikView that meet other visualization needs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Not applicable

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to figure it out. Using Google Earth, you can create polygons and save each polygon into a folder within Google Maps. You can then export and save this folder as a KML file. Works like a charm!

Kind regards,

Conrad

Employee
Employee

Hi Conrad,

Great to hear, I would love to see a working sample of this with Qlik Sense. Please share on the community if you would like and let us know if you need assistance.

Regards,

Mike

Not applicable

I sure will. Thank you.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎10-29-2014 03:55 PM
Updated by:
Employee