Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Enterprise Documents & Videos

Documents & videos about Qlik Sense.

Announcements
Announcement: Certain actions are currently causing a Page Not Found error. This is a known issue and we are working with the platform vendor to investigate and resolve it.

KML US and World Map and Sample Data

Employee
Employee

KML US and World Map and Sample Data

This is a simple set of sample data that contains US state codes and country ISO codes as well as the appropriate KML files to be used with Qlik Sense Desktop and the Map chart object.

Check out the video here: Using the Maps Chart Object - Points Maps - Part 1 - (video)

7-24-2014 10-32-11 PM.jpg

Attachments
Comments
Not applicable

Hi mto

I got an error while loading kml file like following :

Syntax error, missing/misplaced FROM:

LOAD

.Name as StateName,

.Area as Area

FROM 'lib://MAP Data 2/US_States.kml'

(kml, Table is [US-States.shp/Features])

Data load failed

I tried to do same way of your video with Qlik Sense Desktop.

I didn't find the reason. Is there any mistake ?

Thanks,

WanKi,

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Wanki -

Here is what mine looks like - you should have a prefix value in front of name.

The prefix is the name of the .kml file  - so for me, my kml file is named us_states.

LOAD

us_states.Name as Name,

us_states.Area  as Polygons

FROM 'lib://KML Files/us_states.kml'

(kml, Table is [US STATES]);

If you use the Quick Data Load interface it should do this for you.

let me know how you make out.

Mike

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you for you prompt reply ^^

I tried to attempt that you taught me.

But I had error messages also. It didn't find the field. On the other hand, all the other data files(Excel files) was  loaded using the Quick Data Load interface.

Following is the messages.

Field not found - <US_States.Name>

LOAD

US_States.Name as StateName,

US_States.Area as Area

FROM 'lib://MAPData/US_States.kml'

(kml, Table is [US-States.shp/Features])

Data load failed

WanKi,

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

I got a  success ~~ !!  ^^

I moved the directory that contains the kml file into another place.  I thought  just in case, the root directory name was  a problem. Because it was Korean characters.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

WanKi,

Employee
Employee

Wanki  - awesome - great to hear, Have fun!

0 Likes
mmonfort
Contributor

Hi Michael,

What's the limit on file size of your KML? I tried a suburb area level file that's around 210 mb. Was converted from an ESRI shape file to KML and loads up fine in other platforms but I get a 'hypercube results are too large' error when I load in Sense. Are these restrictions on the beta version?

Thanks Michael, Sense is definitely looking like a Tableau killer in my books.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Mark great to hear from you. There are certain data limits at the moment with the beta version of the map. Let me check with PM to see how this will work in the coming release.

0 Likes
mmonfort
Contributor

Thanks Michael for the quick response, feedback from PM would be great to hear. We'll be developing a solution for larger files via extension objects in future however would be good to see what can be handled currently

0 Likes
borisman
Contributor III

awesome tutorials, Michael! IT is so much easier to create a map in Qlik Sense than in QV 11!

But I've got the same error "hypercube results are too large" when I tried to use KML file with zip codes from census - the KML file is 166 Mb.

KML file with states boundaries work fine though. I am on Qlik Sense 1.01

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Borys - thanks for the kind words. This is a known limitation that will be resolved and improved upon in future releases of the map object. I will inform our products team to understand the best approach to dealing with this.

Mike

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2014-07-24 10:27 PM
Updated by: