Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Enterprise Documents

Documents for Qlik Sense related information.

Loading ODBC and OLE DB Data (video)

Employee
Employee

Loading ODBC and OLE DB Data (video)

This video will show you how to load data using ODBC and OLE DB connections in Qlik Sense.

NOTE: Starting with Qlik Sense 3.1
- these drivers are NOW included with the installation software.

Note that packages work for both Qlik Sense and QlikView.

Tags (3)
Comments
Not applicable

Very good video of connections. Thanks Michael!

Employee
Employee

Awesome, then please rate and like!

Not applicable

Very simple and direct! Just wonder if the .exe files are updated and we can always use the same link?!?

I seemed so, as the file I downloades today had a larer size than the file with the same name on the vídeo!

Thank you,

Carlos

Not applicable

I have a question. May I assume that with qliksense 3.1, we no longer need to worry about the next video which talks about these following topics?

• ODBC Administrator
  • 64-bit vs. 32-bit drivers
  • Download of ODBC MS Access Engine drivers
  • Adding a Qlik Sense ODBC data source
Employee
Employee

Hello Mary - thanks for your question and sorry for the delay - yes only if your data source is one that we provide in the list of connectors - if it is a generic ODBC source or MS Access for example - then you would need to configure the ODBC DSN using the ODBC administrator and then use the generic ODBC connector. HTH

dverbeke
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Which one should we choose: OLEDB or ODBC with regards to stability or performance.

Kind Regards,

Dion

Employee
Employee

Hi Dion - there are a few options - I'm not sure about the stability or performance you should be fine with both.

My rule is when in doubt and if there is an OLEDB or CLI driver available - use that one instead.

Here is a general statement on both:

The differences between these two data access protocols are technical, but in the most general terms, OLE DB is newer, more advanced, and compatible with a wider selection of database technologies. In addition, OLE DB is more general, in that it includes the ODBC functionality.

Technically speaking, ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) is designed to provide access primarily to SQL data in a multi-platform environment. OLE DB (Object Linking and Embedding Database) is designed to provide access to all types of data in an OLE Component Object Model (COM) environment. OLE DB includes the SQL functionality defined in ODBC but also defines interfaces suitable for gaining access to data other than SQL data.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-27-2015 01:12 PM
Updated by:
Employee