Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Enterprise Documents & Videos

Documents & videos about Qlik Sense.

Announcements
QlikWorld 2020: Join us May 11 - 14, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. Register early and save $400. Learn More

Qlik Sense - Creating a Map Visualization

Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense - Creating a Map Visualization

See: Qlik Sense 3.1 - Understanding Geographic Data Profiling (video) - for more detailed information.

Note: It may be necessary to view this video from the YouTube site, in order to access the full screen and resolution controls. Simply click the YouTube logo found in the bottom right of the player. Controls in the embedded player vary per browser.

_

Comments
Not applicable

Michael,

I need a KML file that is for US Counties.  I need it to have zip code to tie to my data, do you have anything like that?

Thanks,

Mike Coleman

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike - I am looking into this for you and have something that may work - in the mean-time check out:

Cartographic Boundary KML Files - Counties - Geography - U.S. Census Bureau - I found counties here in the .zip file - however you would have to most likely narrow down the results and filter on states - as the underlining hypercube can become quite large, due to certain limits. I want to work on a sample, when I complete it I will attach it here.

Mike T

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike Coleman - PM me in the community and I will send you the .kml file I have that works for all US counties.

Not applicable

Michael,

Can I use a qvd to load the data into Qlik Sense, or does it have to be a KML file? I am not experienced in building KML files.

I have all the data, I just don’t know how to get Qlik Sense to recognize it without it in a KML file.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike - the KML file is what has the boundary coordinates to draw the map - it technically is just text-based data in XML form - that is sourced from the KML. If the KML coordinates are in a QVD file and it is tagged with the appropriate geotag (as you see below) - then you could use that as well. I would suggest opening a discussion in the New to Qlik Sense forum - that way myself and others can help and also provide samples and attachments to you.

For example - here is a script loading boundary coordinates from an .xlsx file instead of a KML file - then tagged with $geomulitpolygon:

[Sheet1]:

LOAD [CountyName],

[US Counties.Area]

FROM [lib://Map_data_and_kml/counties_kml.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

TAG FIELDS [US Counties.Area] WITH $geomultipolygon;

Check out these other resources too:

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/Hub/Content/Visualizations/Map/load-map-d...

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/Hub/Content/Visualizations/Map/load-map-d...

Hidden gems in Qlik Sense geospatial functions

Mike

tsglenn22
New Contributor II

Michael,

This is exactly something I've been looking for. Is there any chance you'd be willing to share with me as well? Thank you for your great work.

Tanner

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Tanner send me your email via the message interface in the community. Please specify exactly what you would like? - is it just the .xls file with the boundary coordinates? or something else?

tsglenn22
New Contributor II

It appears I'm not able to send you a message without having you as a connection. I need the .kml file that you mentioned previously in your response to Mike Coleman that contains the US counties. Thank you!

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

Does the dimension needs to be called "GeoKey"?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

I want to plot in  a map my customers and stores, how can i do that?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2014-07-25 12:42 PM
Updated by: