Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Enterprise Documents & Videos

Documents & videos about Qlik Sense.

Qlik Sense - Variables Interface (video)

Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense - Variables Interface (video)

Learn how to incorporate variables into your Qlik Sense applications to create more sophisticated analytics. Attached to this document is the sample app used in the video. Please copy the .qvf file to your C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps and refresh Qlik Sense Desktop with F5 to see the app.

Note: In order to view this in full screen and a higher resolution, it may be necessary to view this video on the YouTube site. Click the YouTube logo in the bottom right of the embedded player. You will now have additional settings to adjust the video.

Tags (2)
Attachments
Comments
jwkuper
New Contributor

Like this feature.

Great video

gardenierbi
Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the video.

A few questions :

- With QlikView we include a file with all our variables to share our variables across multipe dashboards (our QlikView master items). This is also possible with Qlik Sense. If we want to use the master items like in your video (master item measure with vMeasure as expression), can we create these master items in our script or only by hand?

- Can master items be shared across multiple Qlik Sense apps? So if we create a template app with all our master items, can we include/share these master items in all other apps?

- In the new variable window it's possible to add comments and tags to a variable, can these values also be set from the script?

Not applicable

great idea

Partner
Partner

Are variables only editable by the App owner?

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Sander - I wanted you to know I saw this and will review and get back to you shortly.

Mike

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hello Daniel.

Yes - I just tested this to be sure - only the owner of the app has access to create or edit the variables.I know there are some creative ways using list boxes, dimensions and measures  to make changes to charts etc. Also extension objects that can allow some minor level of modification to the variables - such as a slider, or switch for example.

(Click to enlarge) - simple test example of just changing a dimension of a chart.

Mike

Employee
Employee

Hi Sander - at the moment with this interface the variables are tied to the app, there isn't a notion of a master variables list for the environment.- in regards to what you are stating, you would continue to use that approach (defining variables in a file called from the script)

Regards,

Mike

0 Likes
gardenierbi
Contributor

Hi mto,

Didn't get a notification from your replies. Thank you for your response.

For an enterprise ready tool as Qlik Sense this should be a must have. Maybe you can hint the R&D team for version 3.0? 😉

Regards,

Sander

Employee
Employee

Hi GardenierBI‌ - I will inquire,

Have a great day.

Mike

0 Likes
helentang_
New Contributor

hi Michael,

I'm a developer from China and can't access to the video.

Could you please tell me the original link for this video?

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2015-09-11 02:53 PM
Updated by: