Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Improvements to Script Logging to help developers

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Improvements to Script Logging to help developers

Most of these have been a bugbear of mine since my early days of QlikView, but I wish that the script logs (as downloaded from QMC / saved on the disk) would include the following:

• Whether an optimised load was used - this shows when you reload in the DLE, so why can't it be recorded in the script logs?
  • Show if an alternative table name was created - e.g. when you end up with a "Fact-1" table when you said you wanted it loaded into the "Fact" table - again, this shows in the DLE load window, so why not in the logs?
  • Show the filename being loaded during a *-based load - the script section is repeated and the system must know which file is being loaded so why can't this be logged? Could be shown after the literal script as you see for some other things in QS where it interprets folder-based data connections to actual paths.
  • Show the missing applymap name - at the moment it just says there was a missing map_id but it doesn't tell you which one. It's common to have a few / many applymaps when modelling data, so knowing which is causing the problem would be very useful (even if it's only the first missing one)!
  • Similarly if you have a duplicated field name, it doesn't tell you which is duplicated - would be really helpful to say which field was duplicated (even if you only show the first duplicate if there is more than one!).

It doesn't feel like any of those should be that challenging to do - is there any chance of them being put in place to assist us?

Qlik Partner Ambassador 2024
9 Comments
AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Oh, and Synthetic Keys...
Klaus75
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

+1. And the detailed messages (at least on the level of output in an interactive reload in the message dialog) should be accessible over the APIs for extension developers. For example we have our one version of a reload button and would like to show the messages in a modal dialog. Currently it is not possible because we trigger the reload over async function call and there a no callbacks which delivery access to the messages.

Oliver_F
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Found this idea because of the map_id error message. This is absolutely annoying and a massive waste of development time.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thanks for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this something we understand would be useful, this is not in our short-term roadmap. Please show your support for this idea by clicking on the "like" button.

Thanks,

Patric

Status changed to: Open - Not Planned
AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

+1. And auto-concatenation. Where did my planned table go !

Salaries_tmp << Salary
Lines fetched: 646
Salaries_tmp << Salaries_tmp
Lines fetched: 1,292

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

It's sad to see a year has elapsed and these great ideas have not even been partially delivered. @Patric_Nordstrom is there any value in @AlexOmetis splitting them up so they can be prioritized individually ?

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

@AndrewMcIlwrick yes, one idea per entry is the norm, composite ideas are harder to track and get attention for.

Meghann_MacDonald

Hi @AlexOmetis , since you have logged these as separately, I will go ahead and archive this idea and bring the new ones in.

Meghann

Status changed to: Closed - Archived