Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thkarner
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Limit Server Resources for Self-Service Users?

Hi,

our key users are using Qlik Sense (3.1) for self-service analysis.

Some users have access to predefined SQL connections with tables containing multi-millions of records.

If somehone isn´t well experienced with Sense, it could happen that he joins such 2 tables wich are not matching and creates a carthesian-product, resulting in billions of records and more.

This could cause a server crash or extremely low performance.

The requirement discussed now is to assign a limit to certain users.

This could be e.g.

- a max. size of own apps in RAM

- a max. number or records and/or

- a max. disk space in GB

Is such a scenario possible to ensure stability of the server for other users and to limit resources for special users?

BR T

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Clint_Carr
Employee
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Great question, this is how I typically solve this scenario.

1. Ensure development is separated from Governed Self Service,  I see the scenario you're describing as separate to governed self service, the users are not using pre-created models, instead they are creating new models (potentially with some mistakes).  These users can be provided with a sandpit server, any development performed on this sandpit is effectively ungoverned.  In order to ensure users are not impacted by development activities I prefer to isolate development activities to different engines.

Qlik Sense Enterprise has a number of configuration options allowing for queries of certain sizes to be restricted, however this is an engine wide config and not available per user.

Clint

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Clint_Carr
Employee
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Great question, this is how I typically solve this scenario.

1. Ensure development is separated from Governed Self Service,  I see the scenario you're describing as separate to governed self service, the users are not using pre-created models, instead they are creating new models (potentially with some mistakes).  These users can be provided with a sandpit server, any development performed on this sandpit is effectively ungoverned.  In order to ensure users are not impacted by development activities I prefer to isolate development activities to different engines.

Qlik Sense Enterprise has a number of configuration options allowing for queries of certain sizes to be restricted, however this is an engine wide config and not available per user.

Clint