Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Integrating QRS API with signed certificate while still retaining Hub access?

I'm working on integrating the QRS API in our application. I've gotten the basics down and can call /app and /task without a problem. In Postman, I can do it by disabling SSL verification. Replicating that in our application wasn't too much trouble until I ran into the certificate verficiation issue. I'd like to avoid an insecure connection and use the signed certificate we already have so the REST call can do its work without a problem.

The problem with that is it returns "PKIX path building failed" or "No trusted certificate found". I managed to solve this by using "add sslcert ipport=xx.xx.xx.xx:4242 certhash=abcd appid={1234}"  and having both the Qlik self-signed cert + our signed cert on the same port. Postman works with SSL verfication on after t hat. Unfortunately, this causes the Hub to be inaccessible with "Error: unable to get local issuer certificate" when it tries to call /qrs/license... 

I've tried "add sslcert ipport=127.0.0.1:4242...."  or localhost. I've tried accessing the hub by using localhost/hub and 127.0.0.1/hub but all the same result. The only solution is to remove the certificate from that port so only the Qlik one remains.

Is it possible to call QRS with a signed certificate? Could I force QRS api to listen to more than 1 or a different port? Or will I have to make that custom Java action so I can ping QRS without SSL verfication?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Solved! I added the root.pem/root.cer file as the Authority and that validates the certificate for our server. I've completed the integration for some basic calls such as starting/stopping tasks and retrieving app statuses.

Thanks for mentioning the 1.7 to 1.8 thing. We run java 1.8 (Adopt Open JDK 😎 so we'll have no transition issue if all goes well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

@Jim : Short answer: no. You cannot swap the internal certificates to one validated from an internal or external PKI.

Longer answer: This shouldn't be an issue for an integration. I am not a Java guy in the least*, but insofar as you are on a modern version of Qlik Sense, you should be able to bundle the client and root into a JKS which allows for chain validation to the root. The reason why I qualify the modern bit is that on modern JDK versions (I worked with a customer who hit this going from JDK 1.7 to 1.8), the root needs to have a specific attribute on the certificate which earlier builds of Qlik Sense did not add. See https://support.qlik.com/articles/000075724 for a pointer.

From my notes from the engagement I had with the customer, the except they hit was something like:

IdatActionHelper:getQlikSenseTicket:Directory:IOException:javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: TrustAnchor with subject "CN=<ServerName>-CA" is not a CA certificate ]

If that's the case, then ideally you'd be able to upgrade to either Feb2020 or April2020 to have the installer resolve this issue. From there, re-export the root and client, bundle into the Java side and you should be good to go.

* So I cannot answer Java specific techniques or modules or approaches

Jim
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Solved! I added the root.pem/root.cer file as the Authority and that validates the certificate for our server. I've completed the integration for some basic calls such as starting/stopping tasks and retrieving app statuses.

Thanks for mentioning the 1.7 to 1.8 thing. We run java 1.8 (Adopt Open JDK 😎 so we'll have no transition issue if all goes well.