Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sergio_loza
Partner - Contributor III

QRS externalProgram Tasks (Chaining, Editing)

hello all, I attended Qonnections 2019 "QRS API"  session which, although i'd say that i have sufficient experience with QRS calls, dropped a huge "hidden" nugget that I wanted to double click on

ExternalProgramTask

I created a simple external task that triggers a bat file.

{
"path": "C:\\Users\\<MYUSERHERE\\Desktop\\makedir.bat",
"name": "MakeDirectory3",
"taskType": 1,
"enabled": true,
"taskSessionTimeout": 1440,
"maxRetries": 0,
"privileges": null,
"impactSecurityAccess": false,
"schemaPath": "ExternalProgramTask"
}

currently I see a couple of issues

1)

When I go to the QMC-> Select the task and click edit

qmc external call.PNG

This implies that I cannot chain the task or schedule it using QMC. Are there any QRS that could accomplish these  as a workaround?

2) Similiarly If I want to chain a reload app task to the completion of the external task , It gives me an error ( note that this is just me trying things out, the first issue is the one i would want to work with)

qmc chain .PNG

I am using Qlik Sense November 2018 Patch 4

@Levi_Turner  any chance  for you to confirm whether these two are real issues or simply not implemented yet ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

@sergio_loza : You're welcome to work through Qlik Support to file an enhancement, but the lack of ability to create / edit / etc External Program Tasks is currently just a limitation. As for how to do it, it should be covered well on these posts:

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marc
Employee
Employee

External program tasks can only be modified via the APIs.

seems to be a issue with them via the QMC

sergio_loza
Author

@Marcand @Levi_Turner 

Would you recommend i open a support ticket?

And for the first use case -> Chaining or scheduling these external tasks. Could you think of a workaround that I could try? I was really hopping to be able to add events to  a couple of external tasks

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

@sergio_loza : You're welcome to work through Qlik Support to file an enhancement, but the lack of ability to create / edit / etc External Program Tasks is currently just a limitation. As for how to do it, it should be covered well on these posts:

Cheers

sergio_loza
Author

Thanks Levi and Cpy this is exactly what I was looking for.  I will defer on UI related functionality as we would  likely approach the creation and maintenance of these task thru QRS calls.