Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebumamv
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Rest connector: With connection + Authentication scheme

Hello all,

I've a question about the with connection statement. I want the connection variable, so I have to use the with connection statement. In my rest connection I use the authentication scheme basic with an username and password. I need to know how to write this scheme in the with connection!?!?

I loaded the normal rest conn table and instead of the conn string I used a dummy conn. In addition I add (FROM JSON (wrap on) "root" PK "__KEY_root") to the FROM Clause. Thereafter the with connection statement. Here is an example of what I  reached so far:

LIB CONNECT TO 'Dummyconnection';

RestConnectorMasterTable:
SQL SELECT
"__KEY_reportAssessments_v2_0s",
(SELECT
"ALL_FIELDS",
"__FK_ReportAssessment_v2_0"
FROM "ReportAssessment_v2_0" FK "__FK_ReportAssessment_v2_0")
FROM XML "reportAssessments_v2_0s" PK "__KEY_reportAssessments_v2_0s"
FROM JSON (wrap on) "root" PK "__KEY_root"

WITH CONNECTION(
Url "$(URL)",
HTTPHEADER "Authorization: Basic $(username):$(password)"
);

Please let my know what I have to change, because it's not working now. Qlik support told me I could possible use this: Authorization: Basic <credentials>, where credentials is the base64 encoding of id and password joined by a single colon :.

Thanks in advance!!

Labels (5)
5 Replies
Mehrnaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What I had to use is different, but I had double quote around "Authorization" and double quote around the entire value of it. Maybe try to assign the whole value part of it to a variable and use it that way and see if it helps:

LET vAuthorization = 'Basic ' & '$(username)' & ':' & '$(password)';

SQL Select ...

HTTPHEADER "Authorization" "$(vAuthorization)"

Mehrnaz

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue and your solution doesn't work. It is so frustrating that you can't loop through URLs with a single connection if basic authentication is required...

Mehrnaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi JeromeHoen, my authorization wasn't basic , so, it shouldn't work for basic authentication. I had to pass in bearer token and stuff like that and it works fine.

What would happen if you create a simple connection through the wizard:

Authentication SchemaAuthentication Schema

and choose "Basic" from the dropdown and in script, and in your loop, you only change the url or body (or whatever you need to modify o each loop) and run it? I haven't done that as my scenario was very different, but it's worth a try.

Best of luck though!

jptneumann
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

To do a Basic Authentication, it is necessary that the username and password be converted to Base64 concatenated the Username  &  ':'  & Password and then convert to Base64. The resulting String you then pass in the Header by WITH CONNECTION as follows:

HTTPHEADER "Autorization" "Basic $ (vBase64String)"

To convert to Base64, see excelent article at https://spivey.world/qlik%20sense/2020/10/08/base64-encode-qlik-script.html

It works for me and I believe it will works for you too.

Chotana2
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

URL doesn't work anymore

Use this one instead

https://www.base64encode.org/