Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imtiaz_ullah
Creator
Creator

Setup SQL (ODBC) User Directory Connector

Hi all,

I am trying to see if QS allows authentication from an "internal" sql database using my own security model.

I came across a poor piece of documentation on how to try this but it's not very clear.

I have successfully setup the connector however and it has pulled my users into the User section in QS.

What I cannot understand though is how I can now use the account to login to QS from the front end?

In addition there is nothing around the password authentication part - like do I even need to store this in the database?

This part of the system is not clear at all and whilst using LDAP/AD is very well documented, the SQL approach is very poor.

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding this particular functionality, and it's not even designed for this?

Immy

5 Replies
Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm in the same conditions, does anyone found a solution?

Davide

brucearmstrong
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

I used external authentication for this.  Basically I just used QlikAuthNet from Branch.  The user hits the url for the virtual proxy that forwards them to the external authentication (your page).  After you do whatever magic you need to do to authenticate the user, you create a ticket something like:

var req = new Ticket()

{

UserDirectory = "DATABASE",

UserId = "whatevertheuseridis"

};

req.TicketRequest();

That routes them back to the Qlik server which then automatically logs them into that account.

UserDirectory would be whatever name you gave your database user directory.  I called mine, strangely enough, "DATABASE". 

konrad_mattheis
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

this is working quite fine. For c# / .net here is also a sample to make a ticket authentication:

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-us/developer/#../Subsystems/ProxyServiceAPI/Content/ProxyServiceAP...

bye

Konrad

daniel_peger
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Perhaps a little bit late but:

The ODBC user directories in general have basically nothing to do with authentication. The user directories are just used to look up user attributes, that can be used to limit access to applications etc (stream access rules).

To perform a database based authentication you'll need to set up a custom authentication module as described here: Authentication API

Basically Qlik redirects to the URL that is specified in the virtual proxy config. At this URL you can perform the user  authentication (i.e. offer a login screen and validate that the user against your database). Once you validated the user credentials, you request a QlikTicket using Qlik's Add ticket‌ call as already described above. With this ticket in place you again redirect to the originally requested URL (part of the ticket response). And you're done.

Perhaps the qlik-authentication project on Qlik Branch might be a good point to start, if you're not familiar with this.

reddy-s
Master II
Master II