cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baarathi
Creator III
Creator III

Adding External Users in QMC

Is it possible to add external users to QMC  through API, Actual scenario is I have List of users in SQL Server DB and I want to add them in QMC. The problem is I don't want to add them using ODBC User Directory Connection  (i.e. restrict access to the database, instead will provide the API).

Any thoughts/suggestion, will much appreciated.

13 Replies
garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

QRS API has a POST method endpoint /qrs/user that can be used to add users.

You could use PowerShell and Qlik-Cli for convenience and run New-QlikUser to add users.  You could read values from a CSV using PowerShell and pipe to New-QlikUser to batch load them.

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Hey Baarathi,

Why do you need to add users? When a user auths, a record inside of Sense will be created if one doesn't already exist?

garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hey Levi,

I'm not sure what Baarathi is trying to do, but we had a scenario where a customer asked if we could bulk load users and automatically assign roles/properties/tags to those users before they logged in the first time so that existing security rules would automatically apply to them.  We never implemented it so I'm not sure if it works or if it's a good use case for this.

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Ahh, in that scenario, a UDC seems more appropriate and then leverage attributes from the UDC in rules. But that may not be possible.

garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

That's an intriguing option - load a custom attribute from any UDC.  Use QRS API to read the custom attribute for each user and assign a role/property/tag/whatever to the user depending on the value(s) in the custom attribute.  Then it's completely UDC driven.  But it's only batch mode updates to those roles/properties/tags.

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I was more envisioning using the UDC attributes directly rather than assigning roles as such. But that's purely for an authorization framework rather than using tags as ways of filtering things. Heck, if you wanted to go crazy, you could always chain a UDC task sync with an external process which calls a script to assign roles, etc using the QRS Notification API: https://eablog.qlikpoc.com/2018/11/01/qlik-sense-repository-notification-api/

baarathi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello Gary and Levi,

Thank you for your inputs. May be I have to be more clear on my request.

We are using Active Directory UDC to pull our internal Users from AD to access Hub. Like wise, we wanted our vendors (external users) also to access Hub to view few dashboards. But, these vendors are not part of our AD, they are maintained in a Database and we have one API to pull the list of users from the database and one more API to authenticate them for other applications.

We do not want to expose the database directly to Qlik Sense via SQL ODBC UDC. Instead we would like to use the API to pull the list of vendors to Qlik Sense.     

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Again, why do you need to have a user record beforehand?

PuriVelasco
Creator
Creator

Hello @baarathi 

Have your solved your problem? I have a similiar question.

Thank you.