Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitk1609
Master
Master

Can a failover node work as scheduling node

Hi,

I have configured a failover node and now I need to configure one node which will handle reloading tasks, My Questions is , Can I use the same Failover node as reloading node , If yes , how ? As reloading node need to set SLAVE and if I set it to SLAVE on central and on the time when my central node stop working , will it automatically set to MASTER and SLAVE which manage and reload the tasks ?

21 Replies
Vincenzo_Esposito

From the September 2017 release you can set up a RIM node as candidate master. If the master node fails the RIM node replaces it, so also the scheduler will change from slave to Master/Slave.

In previous release you need to guarantee the Master HA for Slaves Scheduler to work

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

It means, when I add a new node and select the Failover Candidate and then I can use the same node for reloading purpose, by going to schedulers , and change its Type to Master and when it central node get failed, my Rim node type will change to MASTER and SLAVE automatically and it will works as central node which can do the reloads ?

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

See what I am trying to do, I have a central node and one RIM node which is working as a failover node. Now I need to add one more node for reloading purpose, here I am trying to use failover node as reloading node too  so I donot need to add one more node for only reloading purpose.

I ca say I am, trying to use utilize failover node in more ways.

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

Hi Viencezo,

Can you please explain in detail

scheduler will change from slave to Master/Slave

?

I have one Central node, one Failover node and one Scheduler node. I have settled , Central Node as MASTER only, Failover node as SLAVE only and Scheduler node to SLAVE only.

As you have said, when my Central node will get down, My failover node type will change automatically to MASTER only and Scheduler node will communicate to Failover node and reload will continue , Please correct me if I am wrong

Vincenzo_Esposito

Hi Rohit,

What I said is from the September 2017 release you can select an "Alternative Master Node". An alternative master node need to have all services (as the real master node). It work on a polling base system (by default each 10 min) check whether the master is on-line and in case of fails it replaces the master node. As result also the Scheduler on this node acts as Master.

Hope is more clear, if not don't hesitate to ask more details 

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

As I have configured one RIM node and on the time of adding to central node, I have selected Failover candidate which made it select all the services automatically.

But when I went to scheduler option and open my this new node, the type was there SLAVE, so as per your suggestion , I am making it MASTER, for now, There are two master type nodes in my  qlik site, Central Node and Failover node

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere

Vincenzo_Esposito

As long as your Master node is on-line, the RIM node (master candidate) act as RIM, so the Scheduler is only Slave. The promotion to Master happen only in case of failure. Did you test this case? Wait also the setted time-out

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

See, The node which i settled failover candidate and running all the services has Type SLAVE in schedulers , I can't make it master until my central node is active, Now you are saying when failover node will become MASTER TYPE after central node down, How to check it , do you have any way to check now my failover scheduler node is MASTER now ?

Vincenzo_Esposito

If I were you I'll check the Scheduler node role (the one you're interested in). I expect to have rule Master/Slave