Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there any way to access the various APIs without having a visualization extension on the sheet?

There are sometimes cases where I would like to use the APIs outside of my visualization extension. For example, I currently have JavaScript code that sets the value of a variable myVar to the value of a certain field myField when a given selection mySel changes. The user can change myVar on their own, so I cannot simply define myVar as '=myField'. This code currently resides in one of my visualization extensions, but it really doesn't belong there; it should be a property of the app, not a particular UI component that happens to be on the sheet. Can I set up code to watch for the selection changes in the Data Load Editor or something? Or, is there some way to have a particular snippet of code (that can access the APIs) run on app/sheet load?

Conversely, is there any way to run "Qlik Sense language" code (for lack of a better term) from a visualization extension? For example, instead of using the APIs, it would be convenient to just set a variable by running "Set someVar = 6" or whatever.

Thanks,

Dave

1 Reply
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Currently the only way to execute code inside of the client is via visualization extensions or widgets.

We are looking into providing other means of code execution and be able to hook into events propagated in the client but there is no definitive timeline on when something like that would be released.

The last option I could imagine is to run some sort of browser extension which hooks the page but since we don't broadcast events for what you are after I'm not sure how much it would help.