Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Restrict data based on user role

I created a qliksense dashboard and I need to restrict or filter the data based on user role. I understand that I can publish dashboard to streams but I don't want to maintain multiple dashboards.

I have sales dashboard with Region dimension containing East and West as possible values. I want user A to see only East region data and user B to see only West region data and user CEO should be able to see all regions. I don't want to create dashboards with different dataset. It would be great to have single dashboard and restrict the data using custom extensions.

Is this possible with extensions? Please show me some pointers to filter data.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I haven't tried this my self but this is what the help says.

Dynamic data reduction

Qlik Sense supports the dynamic data reduction feature, by which some of the data in an app can be hidden from the user, based on the section access login:

• Fields (columns) can be hidden by using the system field OMIT.
  • Records (rows) can be hidden by linking the section access data with the real data: The selection of values to be shown/excluded is controlled by having one or more fields with common names in section access and section application. After user login, Qlik Sense will attempt to copy the selections in fields in section access to any fields in section application with exactly the same field names (the field names must be written in UPPER CASE). After the selections have been made, Qlik Sense will permanently hide all data excluded by these selections from the user.

https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-us/online/#../Subsystems/WorkingWith/Content/Scripting/Security/Dynam...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I haven't tried this my self but this is what the help says.

Dynamic data reduction

Qlik Sense supports the dynamic data reduction feature, by which some of the data in an app can be hidden from the user, based on the section access login:

• Fields (columns) can be hidden by using the system field OMIT.
  • Records (rows) can be hidden by linking the section access data with the real data: The selection of values to be shown/excluded is controlled by having one or more fields with common names in section access and section application. After user login, Qlik Sense will attempt to copy the selections in fields in section access to any fields in section application with exactly the same field names (the field names must be written in UPPER CASE). After the selections have been made, Qlik Sense will permanently hide all data excluded by these selections from the user.

https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-us/online/#../Subsystems/WorkingWith/Content/Scripting/Security/Dynam...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The link is broken can you provide updated link?

Not applicable
Author

Try using the Qlik Help at help.qlik.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Search in help page doesn't provide the link.

Google search on your site provided the correct link.

Now, I tried this on the dashboard I created with following script

section access;

LOAD * inline [

ACCESS, USERID,REDUCTION, OMIT

USER, domain\ADMIN,1,

USER, domain\lbabu,2,

USER, INTERNAL\SA_SCHEDULER,*,

];

section application;

T1:

LOAD *,

NUM AS REDUCTION;

LOAD

Project,

Site,

Market,

Technology,

RecNo() AS NUM

FROM [lib://Sample (domain_lbabu)/Sample.csv]

(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

This returns all records. Any pointers?

P.S: The demo script in the help works.

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I have similar requirement, so wondering whether you got any solution for this problem ??