Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssamuels
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

How to ugrade Qlik Sense on Kubernetes?

Hi,

In the online documentation I can't find the steps describing the upgrade procedure for an existing Qlik Sense installation on Kubernetes. Is this just as simple as running a Helm command to upgrade the Qlik Sense deployment, or is there more to it than that?

Steven

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ThiebaudS
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi @ssamuels 

Yes indeed, it's as simple as running a helm command. You just need to do the following:

- helm repo update (to get the latest version from the qlik repo)

- Then you can run "helm list" to check your current installed version, and "helm search qliksense" to check which version will be installed

To upgrade, just run:

helm upgrade qliksense-init qlik/qliksense-init

helm upgrade qliksense qlik/qliksense -f values.yaml

The upgrade will take about 10 minutes to have all pods in running state.

Best regards,

Thiebaud

View solution in original post

matthias_v
Partner - Contributor III

Hi @ssamuels ,

I think I ran into the same issue. Had to manually delete the StatefulSet on kubernetes (kubectl delete statefulset qliksense-dcaas-redis-master). I hope you ran the helm upgrade statement with the option "--cleanup-on-fail' .. Otherwise you will have to cleanup all the "resources" that were already deployed on the first upgrade. 

Kr,

Matthias

matthias_v

Hi @ssamuels,

Unsure,

Try running your helm upgrade with the "--dry-run" option. It might list all the errors for resources that are already "falsely" created.

Kr,

Matthias

5 Replies
ThiebaudS
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi @ssamuels 

Yes indeed, it's as simple as running a helm command. You just need to do the following:

- helm repo update (to get the latest version from the qlik repo)

- Then you can run "helm list" to check your current installed version, and "helm search qliksense" to check which version will be installed

To upgrade, just run:

helm upgrade qliksense-init qlik/qliksense-init

helm upgrade qliksense qlik/qliksense -f values.yaml

The upgrade will take about 10 minutes to have all pods in running state.

Best regards,

Thiebaud

ssamuels
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @ThiebaudS 

Unfortunately the upgrade failed. The Helm upgrade command ended with the following message:

UPGRADE FAILED
Error: StatefulSet.apps "qliksense-dcaas-redis-master" is invalid: spec: Forbidden: updates to statefulset spec for fields other than 'replicas', 'template', and 'updateStrategy' are forbidden && StatefulSet.apps "qliksense-redis-master" is invalid: spec: Forbidden: updates to statefulset spec for fields other than 'replicas', 'template', and 'updateStrategy' are forbidden

Now I can no longer login to the Hub, probably due to the failed upgrade. Is there a way to revert to the old version? Or do you know how to fix the upgrade failure?

Thanks,

Steven

matthias_v

Hi @ssamuels ,

I think I ran into the same issue. Had to manually delete the StatefulSet on kubernetes (kubectl delete statefulset qliksense-dcaas-redis-master). I hope you ran the helm upgrade statement with the option "--cleanup-on-fail' .. Otherwise you will have to cleanup all the "resources" that were already deployed on the first upgrade. 

Kr,

Matthias

ssamuels
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks @matthias_v 

Is there an easy way to cleanup these unused/unwanted resources?

matthias_v

Hi @ssamuels,

Unsure,

Try running your helm upgrade with the "--dry-run" option. It might list all the errors for resources that are already "falsely" created.

Kr,

Matthias