Qlik Community

Qlik Support Documents

Documents related to Qlik Support.

Qlik Sense Desktop Support FAQ

ggg
Contributor II

Qlik Sense Desktop Support FAQ

Welcome to the Qlik Support FAQ for Qlik Sense Desktop!

We have added the most common general and technical questions around Qlik Sense Desktop. If you are unable to find what you are looking for, please use the Qlik Sense discussion forum where Qlik Support representatives will be able to assist.

General

What is Qlik Sense Desktop?

This is a free version of Qlik Sense that can be installed and run on a Windows machine.

Where can I download Qlik Sense Desktop?

Qlik Sense Desktop can be downloaded at its own dedicated Qlik Sense Desktop download page or via the customer download site (for customers with access).

How can I get Qlik Sense technical Support?

Qlik Support will not provide support on Qlik Sense Desktop. There are however forums dedicated to Qlik Sense Desktop on Qlik Community. Qlik representatives will help you with questions around Qlik Sense Desktop through the discussion forum.

Is Qlik Sense Desktop Supported under maintenance?

If it is connected to a Qlik Sense Enterprise environment then yes.  If the user signs in using a free Qlik Account then no.

How do I create a case for Qlik Sense Desktop?

If you are using Qlik Sense Desktop connected to a Qlik Sense Enterprise environment then you can use your normal case creation process.  Qlik Support does not accept cases from free Qlik Sense Desktop since it is not a supported in this mode. Qlik Support will however be available to assist from Qlik Sense discussion forum.

I've found an issue with Qlik Sense, how can I report this to Qlik?

Support staff that are active in the QlikCommunity forum for Desktop will register bugs with our developers.

Technical

What are the Qlik Sense Desktop system requirements?

The system requirements for Qlik Sense Desktop can be found on the Qlik Sense System Requirements page.

Can I share apps created in Qlik Sense Desktop?

Yes. There are no limitations in sharing applications between different installations/instances of Qlik Sense Desktop.

Note: QVF files need to be located in a specific folder - C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps

The folder cannot be a shared drive folder or a shared folder. Once a qvf is open, it is modified so other instances of the Desktop cannot open it or copy it.

Can I install Qlik Sense Desktop on the same machine where QlikView 10 or 11 is installed?

Yes, Qlik Sense Desktop and QlikView Developer 10 and 11 can coexist on the same machine.

On what OS can I install Qlik Sense Desktop?

This edition of Qlik Sense Desktop requires 64 Bit Windows Vista/7/8. It cannot be installed on server operating systems like Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

Do I need a license to use Qlik Sense Desktop?

No, it will not require a license.

Does my instance of Qlik Sense Desktop ever expire?

It is our intent to have users of our Desktop product continue to upgrade to stay on the most current release. Anyone can use Qlik Sense Desktop for the long term if they keep updating as needed. Each version of Qlik Sense desktop will expire 13 months after the release date, but users will be notified that their version needs to be upgraded for continued use of Qlik Sense Desktop.

What do I have to do after Qlik Sense Desktop requires an update on my machine?

You will have to uninstall Qlik Sense Desktop. Your visualization apps will still work. There will be subsequent releases of Qlik Sense Desktop to replace this version.

Will the apps I create in Qlik Sense Desktop expire?

No, they will not expire and can be moved to another, newer instance of Qlik Sense Desktop.

What are the limitations in Qlik Sense Desktop?

It is a desktop version of Qlik Sense, which means:

• There is no server in this release
  • You can share your apps with other users if they are using Qlik Sense Desktop
  • The Qlik Sense Desktop version is hardcoded to expire to make way for new updated versions. Each version of Qlik Sense Desktop will expire 13 months after the release to ensure everyone have a chance at a smooth upgrade.

Features:

• Section Access is not supported - When loading a QlikView App with Section Access an error message will pop up
  • Hidden Script is not supported - Saving an App with hidden script will NOT save the hidden script - Data of hidden script will be lost in the next reload

Can I copy my QlikView 11 documents (qvw) to Qlik Sense Desktop?

Yes, you can use the QlikView Conversion tool in the Dev Hub (click on the ellipses ('...') on the top right of the Qlik Sense Desktop Hub) and then select QlikView Converter.  This will convert over your dimension and measure, selected objects and script.

If you want to convert over only your script you can drag and drop your QlikView docuemnt (qvw) directly onto the Qlik Sense Desktop Hub.

Can I open Qlik Sense Desktop App on my mobile device?

No. Qlik Sense Desktop has no Server functionalities and it is not possible to connect to a Qlik Sense Desktop instance.

Can I use Qlik Sense apps that were created in Qlik Sense Desktop also later in Qlik Sense Enterprise server or Qlik Sense Cloud?

Qlik Sense Desktop apps can be saved as a local file (qvf) and then be imported into a licensed Qlik Sense Enterprise server or uploaded to Qlik Sense Cloud.

Does Qlik Sense Desktop provide an API?

Yes, you can access the Dev Hub by clicking on the top right of the Qlik Sense Desktop Hub.

How can I change the language in Qlik Sense Desktop?

By default, Qlik Sense Desktop runs in a window of its own, in the display language of the operating system of your computer. In this case, the language cannot be altered unless you change the display language of the operating system.

The default language is "English" if you choose an unsupported language.
For all supported languages please see the help site.

Can I add extensions to Qlik Sense Desktop?

Yes, copy it into this folder:

C:\Users\username\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Extensions - and extract the extension (if zipped)

Can I run Qlik Sense Desktop in a web browser?

Yes, once Qlik Sense Desktop is started point your supported web browser to http://localhost:4848/hub/

Comments
Employee
Employee

Excellent information!

Not applicable

Can I copy my QlikView 11 documents (qvw) to Qlik Sense Desktop?

Yes, but only limited parts (script) of your QlikView 11 documents will be able to convert into the Qlik Sense app (qvf) format.

>> How to copy my qvw to Qlik Sense Desktop? Thank you.

Not applicable
bme
New Contributor III

Currently apps created in QlikView personal can't be opened by another instance. Personal Edition FAQ

I'm a bit confused by the statements of :

"There are no limitations in sharing applications between different installations/instances of Qlik Sense Desktop." and "Once a qvf is open, it is modified so other instances of the Desktop cannot open it or copy it."

They sound a bit contradictory. If I make a QVF in my instance and then a coworker copies that to their folder would they be able to open it? If so, once they open it and make changes, can they save and send it back?

Are there any plans to reintroduce the "Personal Edition" limitations if the Sense Desktop app is intended to remain free?

ggg
Contributor II

Hi Ben,

QlikView Personal Edition and Qlik Sense Desktop are two different products. The limitations in QlikView PE, as you pointed out, is the way QVWs are shared. These limitations are removed in Qlik Sense Desktop where the QVFs can be shared, unrestricted, between users. Qlik Sense Desktop encourages users to freely share QVFs and I've seen no indication that the PE limitations will be re-introduced.

bme
New Contributor III

That's excellent news! Thanks for the clarification.

Not applicable

Couple of questions if I may please:

"Qlik Sense Desktop is hardcoded to expire at December 31, 2014."

Will Desktop become chargeable at this point, be extended or just drop dead?

"This edition of Qlik Sense Desktop requires 64 Bit Windows Vista/7/8. It cannot be installed on server operating systems like Windows Server 2008 or 2012."

So just to confirm, this won't work in my work's soon to be implemented Windows Server 2012 RDS / thin client setup?

Thanks, Rob

Not applicable

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your questions.  Yes, this Version/Build of Qlik Sense Desktop will expire in December.

But you will get a notification (email, Community blogs, Support articles, etc.) with enough time to download and install the latest version. The idea is to keep with the most updated version. There are no plans at all that Qlik Sense Desktop will become chargeable at this point.

Qlik Sense Desktop is the first release of the Qlik Sense product family with focus on single users and desktop environment’s.  Later this year we will release Qlik Sense (Server) . This version will support of course the
installation on Windows Server operating systems and provides a great capability of sharing apps in large environments.

Please check this link for more information on Qlik Sense:

http://www.qlik.com/us/explore/products/sense/license

orson11235
New Contributor III

Hi Dirk

Please clarify. There will be sever version of QV Sense just as there are
for QV 11. I've been in disagreement with a work colleague over this. Also will
there be new equivalents of the different types of QV 11 servers?

Thanks

Not applicable

Hi Orson,

we just released Qlik Sense Desktop (Free Software) and later this year we will release Qlik Sense.

Here a some links:

Qlik Sense Desktop - Qlik Sense Desktop

Qlik Sense - Qlik Sense

Qlik Sense and Qlik Sense Desktop are two different versions of the Qlik Sense Family. 

QlikView and Qlik Sense are 2 different products. Just to clarify there is no QV Sense...

Please go to  http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/07/29/view-or-sense  for more details:

Hope that helps

Best regards

Dirk

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-18-2014 05:00 PM
Updated by:
ggg