Qlik Community

Qlik Support Techspert Thursdays

Here you'll find the recordings of our Qlik Support Techspert Thursdays sessions.

Highlighted
Not applicable

QlikView Server PGO files - What they do and why they are so important

In this webinar we will discuss:

• Overview, where does PGO files live and why?

• Contents, what is in the PGO files?

• Why does QlikView stability depend on the PGO files?

• Troubleshooting typical PGO-file issues

• The past, present and future, stability improvements

For best viewing, we recommend you set the highest video resolution.

Q&A - QlikView Server PGO files - What they do and why they are so important

Q:  What happens when we delete some (or all) of the PGO-files?

A: The information contained in that PGO file, or in all of them gets removed from the QVS. Depending on which file is deleted, the effect will be different.

Q:  Does the QVWS use the servercounters.pgo file to work out where to open an App in a load balanced cluster?

A: The QlikView Web Server will ask all QVS nodes in the cluster if they have the document opened, or if they are allowed to load it and then determine where to direct the users session. While it utilizes the same Performance Counters, it does not in fact read directly from the ServerCounters.pgo file. Only the QVS accesses the .PGO files.

Q:  How often is the XML-file with PGO data refreshed? Can we use this XML-option to keep a backup copy of CAL allocation?

A. The XML copy of the PGO files, if enabled, updates every time the PGO file is touched by the QVS, normally several times per minute. The XML representation can be used as a template if the need to re-allocate the CALs arise, but this will be a manual process as there is a one-way communication between PGO and XML.

Q:  I tried few times to recover cal data from backed up pgo files by copying them to root folder, before i took qvs service off. nothing happened. on few different servers. I noticed on the manual i should copy FUL.dat file where is the original copy ?

A: In order to do a restore of the PGO files from backup, you would need to shut down the QVS Service firsrt, as it will otherwise lock the files. If you do a full restore of the locations holding the PGO files as discussed in this session, the backup-FUL.dat will be among the files restored.

Q:  If I can see that my CalData.pgo in the root folder is not updated (the timestamp in the folder is not updated) when I add a new named cal, what might be the issue?

A: What you describe is the symptoms of the PGO files being out of sync. This might have happened for many reasons, the QVS failing to lock onto the files being at the top of the list. In order to restore sync, you will need to shut down the QVS Service, delete all the .PGO files and the backup FUL.dat and then restart the QVS Service, recreating the files in sync.

Q:  If deleting cadata.pgo in both root and app folder to get it re-generated are you then starting from scratch adding cals in QMC?

A: Yes.

Q:  PGO Files must be backed up. is there any article specifying witch QlikView files must be backed up in general (publisher, qvs, qlikview)?

A: The QlikView Server Reference Manual covers backing your QlikView installation up. In Short:

Back up the current QlikView data directory, which includes most of the log and some of the configuration files as well as the document folders. The files are typically located in the following location:Windows 7 and later, Windows Server 2008 and later: %ProgramData%\QlikTechWindows XP, Windows Server 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech

Q:  While re-deploying the backed up files, will there be any potential issues?

A: The biggest potential issue is taht any change made between the point in time of the backp and the files becoming corrupted will be lost.

Q:  Should the PGOASXMLALSO=1 be left turn on, or is it recommended to turn it off when done. What issues would it cause if it's left on?

A: We have seen very little impact on performance from leaving the setting switched on. One might however make a case for there being no point in having it enabled and generating extra files unless you are actively troubleshooting an issue.

Q:  The PGO are basically to store configurations and status of the services, wouldn’t it be more performant to use a database for that?

A: This would be an accurate statement. Current releases of QlikView rely on reading files on disk to continue operating, while Qlik Sense for example have all configuration stored in a database that can be replicate between nodes. With the changes introduced in PGO file handling in QlikView 11.20 SR11, we feel confident that we have a robust enough system in place to remove the need for a re-achitecture of current releases towards storing everything in a database.

Q:  FUL.dat file, :  what is it? 

A: FUL.dat contains a backup set of information contained in the PGO files.