Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
QlikSenseUpdates
Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense Desktop is not going anywhere but it will no longer be free

UPDATE - July 7, 2020
The issue identified which affected the June 2020 release of Qlik Sense Desktop has been resolved.  More information can be found here.

UPDATE - June 10, 2020

The ability to authenticate Qlik Sense Desktop (June 2020 or later) against Qlik Sense Business and Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS has been released.  The text below has been updated to reflect this change.

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST - December 5, 2019

Following the statement below we have received quite a bit of feedback from passionate Qlik users and partners who are getting a great amount of daily value out of Qlik’s products and services.  As a result of this feedback we would like to share with you the following information and updates regarding key areas of concern.

API Developer access to development tool:
  • We realize that Qlik Sense Desktop is an integral part of many API developers in our community, and a solution will be provided prior to June 2020 that will provide similar or better ability to develop with Qlik's APIs and will be communicated via our Qlik developer community, Qlik Branch.

Ability to easily try Qlik Sense for extended periods of time:
  • We will continue to invest in making it easier and faster for anyone (not just Windows users) to try Qlik Sense via a cloud-based trial approach with Qlik Sense Business. We recognize that it is not always possible to make a decision in 30 days, so trial users will be able to extend their trial for an additional 15 days on their own. If additional time is needed to make a decision, trials can be extended further, we only ask our trial users to engage with a salesperson who can assist with your evaluation of Qlik Sense.

Ability to keep data offline while trying (and using) Qlik Sense:
  • We have enabled Qlik Sense Desktop to authenticate via SaaS editions of Qlik Sense which enables Qlik Sense Business users to also use Qlik Sense Desktop. Therefore paid and trial users can keep their data local if they choose.  Note this requires Qlik Sense Desktop June 2020 or later.

Access to Qlik Sense for key influencers and promoters of Qlik:
  • We will continue our investments in e-commerce capabilities so we can grant faster, easier and more customized access to Qlik Sense. This capability is much more than the ability to just buy Qlik Sense via a credit card, also giving Qlik the ability to efficiently service special groups via programs such as our Academic Program, Corporate Responsibility Program software grants and our Partner Program.

Thank you all for the on-going feedback, suggestions, and dialogue.  Qlik is very thankful to have a vibrant and passionate community.  We are listening and appreciate all the feedback.

Posted December 3, 2019

To adapt to changing customer preferences and in alignment with enterprise cloud vendors industry practice, Qlik is moving away from a ‘freemium’ model for both its cloud and desktop versions of Qlik Sense, in favor of a time-limited trial.  This means that both Qlik Sense Cloud Basic and Qlik Sense Desktop will cease to be free. It is important to note that Qlik Sense Desktop will remain a supported part of our Qlik Sense product family.

We began this process in August with the launch of Qlik Sense Business and migration of Qlik Sense Cloud users and now we are beginning the process for Qlik Sense Desktop.  We are aware this is a change for many of Qlik Sense Desktop users so we will be making these changes progressively over several months to allow you to plan accordingly.  We will start by removing the download from qlik.com, then Qlik Sense Desktop will notify users of the change and finally, free use of Qlik Sense Desktop will stop.

Key Changes and Dates:

December 2019 through January 2020:  Free downloads of Qlik Sense Desktop will be removed from Qlik’s websites.  During and after this period, Qlik Sense Desktop will still be available via the customer download site and via the Cloud Hub in the user profile area.  If you do not have access to the customer download site then you can use this temporary download link to get the most recent version of Qlik Sense Desktop and continue free use.  During this period there will be no physical changes to Qlik Sense Desktop.

February 2020:  When launching Qlik Sense Desktop, it will display an alert of the upcoming changes (and linking to this posting).  This display will be generated in all versions of Qlik Sense Desktop (including previously released versions). At this time, users can continue to use Qlik Sense Desktop for free however we strongly recommend users start transitioning to a paid edition of Qlik Sense either by starting a trial of Qlik Sense Business or by authenticating Qlik Sense Desktop against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows or a Cloud edition of Qlik Sense (Enterprise SaaS or Business).

30 June 2020: Free access to Qlik Sense Desktop will cease.  To continue to use Qlik Sense Desktop users must authenticate against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows or a Cloud edition of Qlik Sense (Enterprise SaaS or Business).  Users will still be able to access the Qlik Sense App (QVFs) via their local file system and copy the files to other editions of Qlik Sense. 

After 30 June 2020:  Qlik Sense Desktop will continue to receive updates and will remain a fully supported Qlik Sense client of paid deployments using Qlik Sense Enterprise or Qlik Sense Business.

FAQ (updated)

Can I use Qlik Sense Business to unlock Qlik Sense Desktop?
Yes.  From the Cloud Hub, select your Profile in the top right and then select "Settings".  In the settings section, there is a link to download Qlik Sense Desktop and a link to authenticate Qlik Sense Desktop against the tenant.

Can I use an older version of Qlik Sense Desktop and continue free use?
No, all versions of Qlik Sense Desktop will no longer allow free access after 30 June 2020.

Can I buy Qlik Sense Desktop as a standalone?
No, to continue to use Qlik Sense you will need to subscribe to Qlik Sense.  If you plan to primary use Qlik Sense Desktop, we recommend Qlik Sense Business.

Can I still use Qlik Sense Desktop for app development and/or offline access as part of a wider Qlik Sense Enterprise deployment?
Yes, however, you must authenticate Qlik Sense Desktop against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows or a Cloud edition of Qlik Sense (Enterprise SaaS or Business).

How do I try Qlik Sense if I cannot upload my data to the cloud?
You can start a trial of Qlik Sense Business, which included Qlik Sense Desktop or please contact our sales team to discuss our multi-cloud capabilities which give you the choice of where your data resides.

I’m an API developer and I use Qlik Sense Desktop for my development work, how will I do this after June 2020?
We realize that Qlik Sense Desktop is an integral part of many API developers in our community, a solution will be provided prior to June 2020 that will provide similar or better ability to develop with Qlik's APIs and will be communicated via our Qlik developer community, Qlik Branch.

1 Comment