Qlik Community

Qlik Technical Bulletin Blog

Information on all new product releases, connectors, beta programs, and technical product information.

Employee
Employee

Qlik Web Connectors November 2017 Release (v2.28.2) Available

The Qlik Web Connectors November 2017 Release (2.28.2) is now available on the Qlik.com download page‌ (you need to be logged in to Qlik.com)

Along with a number of general improvements, this version has 4 new beta connectors added to the suite including:

• Office 365 Mail/Contacts/Calendar
  • OneDrive v2 - which is enabled for OneDrive business accounts,
  • IBM Watson Natural Language Understanding for more text and sentiment analytics, and
  • for all of you desperate to better your fitness performance, there's even a Strava Connector

This now means that there are 47 connectors available

If you're using Qlik Web Connectors 2.2.0 and either any beta connectors or standard connectors, please read the note towards the end of this post about upgrading.

In this release no connectors were moved from a beta state to either Premium or Standard Connectors.

Some multi-source connectors have been split into individual connector, so for example in previous versions of the Qlik Web Connectors we had the Premium Qlik Sentiment and Text Analytics Connector, which required a subscription and corresponding LEF.

You will now see the following Premium Connectors listed, although they all share the same, single

Sentiment & Text Analytics subscription and LEF entry:

• Qlik MeaningCloud Connector
  • Qlik Repustate Connector
  • Qlik Sentiment140 Connector

The Qlik RegEx Connector is now a free, Standard Connector

The following connectors have been split out but also deprecated:

• Qlik Alchemy Connector
    • This has been replaced by the Qlik Watson Natural Language Understanding Connector
  • Qlik Saplo Connector

Other connectors that have been split out are the AYLIEN Connector and Mailbox Connector.

The Qlik script that has been generated using these previous connectors may need to be modified. Please refer to the Release Notes, for more information.

Current Users of Beta Connectors or Only Standard Connectors

As a reminder, if you are using Qlik Web Connectors 2.2.0 and either:

• any Beta Connectors or
  • any Standard Connectors WITHOUT any Premium Connectors enabled

then these will expire on 31-Jan-2018, so you must upgrade to the new November 2017 Release (2.28.2) version as soon as possible.

The new expiry date in the November 2017 Release will be 30-Nov-2018.We also maintain a schedule here.

See here‌‌ for help on upgrading.

Please see the release notes, also on the download site, for full details.

Help can be found here:

http://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/Web_Connectors_help/Content/Setup-deploy/Qlik_Web_C...

We hope you continue to enjoy using the Qlik Web Connectors and please join the new community group, where you can provide us with feedback on the product, any of the connectors, seek assistance with the beta connectors or exchange ideas and solutions with other users.

Thanks

The Web Connector Team

31 Comments

So if the version 2.2.0.20135 Qlik Notification Connector is being used [and no Premium Connectors] will it simply stop working on 31-Jan-2018, i.e. the end of this month ?

If I had not seen this post would it have popped up any warnings before then ?

Looking at http://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/Web_Connectors_help/Content/Setup-deploy/Qlik_Web_C... I see no mention of the the Qlik Notification Connector, so from that can I assume no changes to it and the upgrade to November 2017 Release (2.28.2) will be simple and transparent ?

P.s.  I love this Qlik Notification Connector and have found it very useful.

p_verkooijen
Valued Contributor

When will the update of the Qlik Web Connectors be as easy as it should be.

Please create an installer which preserves the old settings. Now we have to manually backup zip/unzip files from a zip. And merge old and existing entries. Can't believe this has to be like that.

From the help....

The old deploy.config and login.xml files contain login information. You can either copy the login information from the old files to the new files, or you can copy any new elements from the new files into the old files. Whichever method you choose, the deploy.config and login.xml files should contain your login information and any new elements from the updated version.

Paul,

Thanks for your warning there.

I can't find that bit in the Help - Could you share the url you were looking at ?

0 Likes
p_verkooijen
Valued Contributor
Employee
Employee

Hi,

That's right, in the absence of an active subscription to a premium connector, the standard connectors such as Notification, will stop working at the end of January.

With regards to the changes listed on the help site, i guess it's fair to say that this is a high level view of what's gone on. I would always refer to the Release Notes, which describes in details changes to all connectors as well as the core part of the product. Looking at the release notes there are some changes to this connector.

If you follow the upgrades notes on the help site, the process should be fairly straight forward.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, which i will relay to the team as we develop the product moving forward.

Out of interest, do you use this product with Qlik Sense, Qlik View or both?

0 Likes

I use it with Qlik Sense, but cannot speak for Paul.

0 Likes
p_verkooijen
Valued Contributor

Both

0 Likes
pablolabbe
Valued Contributor II

Hi Darren,

After the upgrade the standard connectors will still be available for use without a premium subscription ?

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Pablo,

Yes, after the upgrade the Standard Connectors will be available to use without a premium subscription.

Thanks,
Darren

0 Likes
markodonovan
Valued Contributor

Excellent news about the Strava connector.

I was only joking about how I wished there was a Strava connector for Qlik the other day.

james_butler
New Contributor III

The Strava connector is excellent news. Only yesterday was I trying to use the Strava API and found it difficult (more than likely due to me rather than the API).

Have you done much with connecting Qlik and Strava?

markodonovan
Valued Contributor

Hi James,

I haven't tried connecting Qlik to Strava yet. 

It will be interesting to see what can be done with the new connector though.

Mark

0 Likes
markodonovan
Valued Contributor

Hi James,

I tried the Strava connector with Qlik Sense Desktop.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to use.

I have attached a quick app to see if there was any correlation between my spending on coffee & miles cycled .

COFFEE_and_STRAVA.qvf

Mark

james_butler
New Contributor III

Evening Mark

Great stuff! The connector was pretty easy, I had tried the API before but it seemed a bit hit and miss... but this could have been me making a few mistakes.

Your app is great - there is definitely correlation between cycling and coffee (and cake).

I've had a little play this evening looking at my YTD performance:

Once I've got something a bit more final I'll be more than happy to share my QVF.

James

pablolabbe
Valued Contributor II

And what will be the new expiration date for version november/2017 ?

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Pablo,

Ops! I should have included that key date in the post, which I've now updated to show.

The new date is 30-Nov-2018.

We also maintain a schedule here:

Thanks,

Darren

0 Likes
pablolabbe
Valued Contributor II

Hi Darren,

Thank you for the update. Maybe the schedule should refer to Standard connectors as well and not only  beta connectors.

Thanks,

Pablo

0 Likes

Oh dear, I cannot get the new version of the Qlik Notification Connector to work.

I have been using the old version 2.2.0.20135 Qlik Notification Connector to send emails and this has been working & stable for quite some time.  So all the smtp relay stuff is working fine

But this new version comes up with this error.

I've tried everything I can think and can't find any useful clues in any log files.  We are not using SSL, but have tried all 3 SSL modes just in case.

Anybody got any suggestions ?

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Bill,

I think that we need to take a closer look at this.

I've sent you a 'connection' request through this community - if you can accept and then request my connection/follow, then I will DM you with my contact details so that we can get a bit more hands on with this issue.

Thanks for your patience,

Darren

0 Likes
maxim_senin
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm new to the Web Connectors users, We use Windows Server 2008 R2, .net 4.7.1 but Web Connectors 2.2 does not start as a Windows service. It only works when running as application.

There is an issue when starting it as a service - it does not start, Applications log has the follow message:

[

Impossible to start the service. System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to configure namespace reservation

at QlikWebConnectorsService.Service.OnStart(String[] args)

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

]

("Impossible to start the service" is a translation of Russian wording, not sure it's the same in English version)

and there are the following errors in the "Service_Startup_Log.txt" file (located in Web Connectors root folder):

[

11.01.2018 11:04:04 System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to configure namespace reservation

в Nancy.Hosting.Self.NancyHost.StartListener()

в Nancy.Hosting.Self.NancyHost.Start()

в QlikWebConnectors.WebBootstrap.StartSelfHost()

11.01.2018 11:04:04 OnStart:ERROR: System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to configure namespace reservation

в Nancy.Hosting.Self.NancyHost.StartListener()

в Nancy.Hosting.Self.NancyHost.Start()

в QlikWebConnectors.WebBootstrap.StartSelfHost()

в QlikWebConnectors.WebBootstrap.StartSpecificVersion(Boolean isService)

в APIConnectorEngine.Qwc.BaseBootstrap.Start(Boolean isService)

в APIConnectorEngine.Qwc.BaseBootstrap.StartServiceVersion()

в QlikWebConnectorsService.Service.OnStart(String[] args)

]

What is going wrong? How to fix this? Any thoughts are welcome...

Thanking you in advance.

Best regards,

Maxim

0 Likes

Darren,

I accepted your Connection Request.

I have also lodged Support Case 01301831 with Qlik, who have reproduced the issue with google smtp server but strangely only in the first attempt. They have reported this as a bug to Qlik R&D and acknowledged that this looks like a degrade.

It would be great if you could assist them [me] in any way you can.

0 Likes
MVP
MVP

In the absence of a fix it would be helpful if the previous Notification Connector could continue working for non licenced users beyond the end of the month.  We use this extensively in place of QlikView alerts.

0 Likes
bap
New Contributor II

Hi Maxim I think you need to check your URL reservations using netsh - some info here Troubleshooting Qlik Web Connectors installation ‒ Qlik Connectors

...if that does not help you could also try updating the service 'Log On' account to a specific account which has full read/write access to the directory under which QWC is running (the default value here will usually be a local system account which may not have the correct permissions).

See the properties dialog for the QWC service, some details here http://wiki.qvsource.com/Running-QVSource-Under-A-Standard-User-Account.ashx‌ (which needs to be included in the new help pages).

UPDATE:

Please check that the service account admin permission / is a member of Administrators - this should resolve the issue with 'Unable to configure namespace reservation' for a Windows service.

bam
New Contributor III

If you are having trouble with the Notification connector a possible workaround is to leave the password blank. We have noticed that for users using a non authenticated SMTP server who are entering credentials (where they actually are not required to), the previous version did not attempt to login in this case but the new version does (but errors).

Apologies for this - we are looking at a way to address this in a better way.

rva_heldendaten
Contributor III

Hi Chris!

Just want to provide some positive feedback!

Using Nov2017-Release we had to change from

[http://localhost:5555/data?connectorID=NotificationConnector&table=SendEmail&SMTPServer=mail.server&useSSL=False&to=$(to)&subject=$(subject)&message=$(msg)&html=True&from=name@company.at&appID=]

to

[http://localhost:5555/data?connectorID=NotificationConnector&table=SendEmail&SMTPServer=mail.server&Port=25&SSLmode=None&to=$(to)&subject=$(subject)&message=$(msg)&html=True&fromName=SenderName&fromEmail=name@company.at&appID=]

Now everything works as before!

Thx,

Roland

0 Likes
rva_heldendaten
Contributor III

For the @file parameter to work, we had to change the following in deploy.config (was different in the versions before)

0 Likes
mgrambeck_affin
New Contributor

some feedback about IMAP MailboxConnector.

for an ETL with data sent though mail, we are using IMAPMailConnector.
In the past, before splitting POP/IMAP, we stored the last UID as a variable and used this UID as parameter for an external tool (written python3) to mark this mail as \Seen. e.g. UID was 178
Now, the UID changed to something internal "FlwlJ8AAAVX" and our external tool cant mark this mail as \Seen because this ID isnt found.

any ideas how to get the "real" mail-ID / UID?

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your message regarding the Mail Connector.

So that we an help you further, I have requested to 'follow' you. Could you please accept this and follow me back?

Employee
Employee

This week a new patch was made available to address an issue with encoding values in the Google Drive & Spreadsheets Connector.

Please refer to this blog post for more information:

Patch for Qlik Web Connectors November 2017 Release Available

0 Likes