Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlieWith
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Access Point Server Connections disconnecting

Hi,

We're currently upgrading to 12.5sr3 and have encountered an issue where when I set the Server Connection on the QlikView Management Console it is removed when the server restarts.

We are setting the the server connection in the QlikView Management Console under System > Setup > QlikView Web Servers > Access Point > Server Connections.

I can see once this is set it updates the config file under QlikTech/WebServer , but if I restart the servers this then disappears and I get a No server error in access point.

Any ideas on why this is happening or how to resolve it because our servers have to restart every night.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Yes, I think I didn't set this setting or the similar ones from the other services manually. If there were needs for adjusting anything I did it mostly directly within the config-files.

In your case I would try to change it there. Stopp all services and open/adjust/save the config-file. If this directly failed means that something with the access rights is wrong or another process blocked. If it worked start the service again and look if it's yet the same file and not replaced with another one (maybe there is any backup-file or a new generic one with default-values). If it's the same file and your manually settings has vanished I would assume that your value isn't valid and therefore removed - and carefully checking if there isn't a typo anywhere ...

If this didn't help I would tend to think that there were further changes in the environment - different domain/server name/IP/OS/security tools/proxy server/more cluster/load balancer/different authentication/group policies ... anything small unaware thing might be changed ...  and may have an impact. 

- Marcus

View solution in original post

6 Replies
marcus_sommer

Maybe your set value is invalid in some way and therefore removed by the restart of the services. This may be caused from the way how the upgrade were done especially regarding to the point from which release was the upgrade. Further important were there also other changes within the environment like different domain, server-name ... ?

Beside this the need of doing regularly restarts indicate that there is something unsuitable or even wrong configured.

- Marcus  

CharlieWith
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

The upgrade was from 12.3 to 12.5sr3. Do you know where I would change this set value?

We do the regular restarts as a company wide policy so it's not done because of any wider issues.

Thanks,

Charlie

marcus_sommer

From 12.3 to 12.5 means it is an upgrade of major-releases which need more efforts and attentions as upgrades on the SR level. You may need to go through all steps of the upgrade and comparing them with the upgrade-guides and your own documentation of it respectively the configurations from your old release to see if anything is different or looked strange.

I'm not sure but I think I did never set this value manually else it came already from the installation. Before struggling with this issue how do the other services/settings looking/working? Means for example the status tab - everything "green" and licenced and all tasks/user are there and running and so on? If not there may be bigger problems with your upgrade which should be solved first and/or you may consider to discard this upgrade and doing it again from the beginning.

- Marcus 

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @CharlieWith,

Marcus makes some very good points.  Suggest that you reach out to Qlik Support and create a case for this issue.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
CharlieWith
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Thanks for your advice it's much appreciated and given me a couple of things to investigate.

We've been through the documentation and have been very careful to compare this build against our previous one. Upgrades in versions like this is also something we do fairly regularly and we're normally confident in trouble shooting issues against previous builds, but this setting being removed is something that has stumped us a little bit.

There are no noticeable differences in the installations and I've been comparing settings in the QlikView Management Console between the two releases to no avail. Everything else is set up correctly, licensed and all the our tasks run fine. I can even open dashboards via access point when the server is actually connected. All services are also up and everything is green on the status tab.

Are you saying you would expect to be setting this value in the installation? We've only been setting it under under System > Setup > QlikView Web Servers > Access Point > Server Connections in the QlikView Management Console. Is this where I would get the set value you mention from?

Thanks,

Charlie

marcus_sommer

Yes, I think I didn't set this setting or the similar ones from the other services manually. If there were needs for adjusting anything I did it mostly directly within the config-files.

In your case I would try to change it there. Stopp all services and open/adjust/save the config-file. If this directly failed means that something with the access rights is wrong or another process blocked. If it worked start the service again and look if it's yet the same file and not replaced with another one (maybe there is any backup-file or a new generic one with default-values). If it's the same file and your manually settings has vanished I would assume that your value isn't valid and therefore removed - and carefully checking if there isn't a typo anywhere ...

If this didn't help I would tend to think that there were further changes in the environment - different domain/server name/IP/OS/security tools/proxy server/more cluster/load balancer/different authentication/group policies ... anything small unaware thing might be changed ...  and may have an impact. 

- Marcus