Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Alerts on task start and task end emails

I am struggling to believe that it is not available, but surely there is an option to send automated email when the QEMC starts refreshing a task to say "Job x started at hh:mm on date and email another to say that job x is now finished refreshing .

See - I have looked through the server and I do not want to send a PDF and I do not want to send the file - I just want to send to the Administrators, when jobs start and when jobs finish, alerts when they fail and that allows us to know if a job has taken too long and we need to take action - or if a job has completed on time and we can rest easy and get on with things.

As it stands - I need to log in each day to check that no jobs are still in a running state in excess.

Tell me I am missing something please and then point me to where I should be looking please?

Peter

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Peter

In the QMC go to :

• System
  • Set Up
  • Distribution Services and select your one
  • General tab [on right]
  • Tick Alert Email [at the bottom]

Best Regards,     Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Peter

Alternatively in the QV Desktop go to:

• Tools
  • Alert Wizard
  • .... follow the prompts

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Th Desktop Alerts are not working on QEMC.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,  I had tried this and there is nothing sent.  Your alternative works only on Post Reload.  On Open does not send me any email.  I figured at least there should be an option to have the server send these alerts out without having to add an alert to each document.  That can become an inefficient task, where there server should do that work surely.?

The ticking of email distribution you suggest only seems to work if you have an alert setup - and as I stated, that does not seem to support start reloading but only post?

Not applicable
Author

I too have always had an issue with trying to do this (QV 10). I have a set of 20 jobs that cascade (each one kicks off the next) with alert qvw's interspersed. The first job starts at a given time on the clock, and I never do see any of the alerts (email messages to me). When I actually remote to the server and manually kick off the jobs, then the alerts do come.

[I wonder if the reason I get no alerts is that no one is logged in to the server during normal operation. And if that's the case, how I would rectify that.]

By the way, in my QEMS, I have no Distribution Services option under System/Setup. All I have are:

QlikView Servers

Directory Service Connectors

QlikView Web Servers

Mail Server

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Roy

I am using QV11 with Publisher so my QMC no doubt looks different to yours, but after configuring your email config can send a test email ok ?

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I can. Thanks --

Also, tested my theory by remaining remoted in to our QV server and standing by while the jobs kicked off automatically. No email alerts were sent.

Like I said, if I remote to the server and kick off the job stream manually, then email alerts are sent.

QV Job STream.PNG.png

Not applicable
Author

Roy - this again looks a little extreme to me.

I am suprised that we cannot just have an alert to say when a job starts and when it ended - SQL server and many others offer this in SSIS and alike.  There must be something surely?  The server cearly logs it - so why cant we call it and post it onward?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter

Unfortunately we didn't find any way to notify a job start... this shows how Publisher really fits for big enterprises...

However, we found the following work-around:

In order to send alerts when a job starts we created a supporting task that call BLAT.EXE (it's a free executable that sends emails on command line). Just schedule this task before the real tasks.

In order to send notifications on a job end - you need to do the following:

1. Open the task properties, go to Distribute Tab, go to Manually sub-tab.

2. In the 'Distribute to Folder' you will see an icon for selecting users - select your username (the one who should get the notification). The email that you'll receive will not contain the qvw document.

3. Go to Notify sub-tab and click on the check-box.

Thanks

Yaniv