Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Any Way to Separate AccessPoint/UI from AccesPoint/Scheduled Reports?

The AccessPoint root folder has two functions: repository of reports which end users can browse; repository of reports which are to be refreshed on a schedule.  Is there any way to separate these functions?

I've set up some QVWs with the purpose of creating QVDs, and other QVWs which read from those QVDs but are not end-user reports, they're just intermediate steps.  If I leave these in the AccessPoint folder, they'll appear in the AccessPoint, creating clutter and confusion.  If I store them somewhere else, I can't use QEMC to schedule automatic refreshes.

I'm sure thousands of users have done this before me.  What's the best practice?

I've browsed and searched through the forum, but I haven't had a lot of luck, so my apologies if this has already been answered.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Also ~ from the QVS manual, I assumed the "Browsable" flag on folder mounts should be a way around this, but I haven't been able to get this to work.  Maybe somebody else has had better luck?

Ok,this got my curiosity up  (again) and I was able to make it work.  You have to use mounted folders (see the manual if you're not familiar with this.)  And uncheck the "Browsable" flag in QEMC for the appropriate mount(s).  The key is then to set a flag on the AccessPoint set up in QEMC:

System > QlikView Web Servers > QVWS@yourserver > "Respect browsable flag on mount"

I'm using QVS 10 SR3 -Isaiah

Message was edited by: Isaiah Weed

View solution in original post

4 Replies
isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

I believe Publisher (used to be called Enterprise..the one you have to pay for) will let you do this; a reload task will let you point to any QVW, not just those in mounted folders.  It's been a while since I've used it but assuming that's still the case.  I agree it would be nice to have this functionality without a separate Publisher license, but I don't believe that's the case.  I use a little ETL-themed icon for my QVD builders and such on the AccessPoint page so that I can easily differenciate.

As far as your users go, they don't see the non-front end apps right (controlled by filesystem permissions)?

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Also ~ from the QVS manual, I assumed the "Browsable" flag on folder mounts should be a way around this, but I haven't been able to get this to work.  Maybe somebody else has had better luck?

Ok,this got my curiosity up  (again) and I was able to make it work.  You have to use mounted folders (see the manual if you're not familiar with this.)  And uncheck the "Browsable" flag in QEMC for the appropriate mount(s).  The key is then to set a flag on the AccessPoint set up in QEMC:

System > QlikView Web Servers > QVWS@yourserver > "Respect browsable flag on mount"

I'm using QVS 10 SR3 -Isaiah

Message was edited by: Isaiah Weed

Not applicable
Author

Beautiful!  I'd looked at mounted folders, but there were several threads here about how the Browsable flag wasn't working, so I feared it wasn't the right path.  But it works exactly as you described.

Thank you!

P.S., I don't have the option of denying the user's permissions on the files, because they need to be able to read from them when they're creating their own reports.  I mean I could lock them out of the first batch of QVWs, the ones that just create QVDs, but the second tier are the users' starting points for making new reports.  I suppose I could just cron the updated QVWs out from a hidden folder in the AccessPoint to another folder and grant the users access there, come to think of it.

Clarified re: an alternate solution.

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

You bet ~ now I too have a clean AccessPoint (yay!)