Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leenlart
Creator
Creator

CONNECT vs OLEDB CONNECT

Hi, 

We just migrated to qlikview 12.4.  In some of my tests I found some connection issues to our oracle database.  The connection issues have been resolved but I noticed that if I create a new connection statement the statement is pasted in as 

OLEDB CONNECT TO [Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=........

Our existing connection statements are 

CONNECT TO [Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=........

Is there any difference between OLEDB CONNECT and CONNECT ?  Both seem to work fine, I'm just wondering if one is better than the other ?

Thanks !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Any prefix to the CONNECT statement can be (and should be) specified to better document what the script is doing. By default CONNECT will take a OLEDB connection, if specified ODBC, it will use ODBC instead.

The ODBC prefix is created by the QlikView script editor assistant, if it is not used, a prompt will show up requesting the server, username and password to connect to, even if CONNECT is followed by a connection string.

OLEDB is not required for the CONNECT statement to succeed if a proper connection string follows.

More on https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Any prefix to the CONNECT statement can be (and should be) specified to better document what the script is doing. By default CONNECT will take a OLEDB connection, if specified ODBC, it will use ODBC instead.

The ODBC prefix is created by the QlikView script editor assistant, if it is not used, a prompt will show up requesting the server, username and password to connect to, even if CONNECT is followed by a connection string.

OLEDB is not required for the CONNECT statement to succeed if a proper connection string follows.

More on https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...
leenlart
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks very much for your reply.  

And thanks for the link.  I've bookmarked the script syntax section for future reference.   😉