cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qwebnm
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Check the impact when restarting QDS.

Trying to restart QDS by modifying QVDistributionService.exe.config.

Where does the problem go when I restart the QDS?
can i just restart?
Can you tell me what's connected to the QDS?

Please answer!

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
David_Friend
Support
Support

@qwebnm hey good to hear from you, actually we restart QDS service all the time when troubleshooting, QlikView is pretty smart and will know to restart any tasks that were in progress etc.  What is the issue you are running into that is prompting you to restart it?

View solution in original post

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @qwebnm,

If you need to stop the QDS in order to edit the QVDistributionService.exe.config file, it is recommended to do so when you have a maintenance window or at another specified time to accommodate the stoppage. As @David_Friend noted, any tasks that were running at the time of the service stoppage should restart when the QDS service is restarted.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

The proper way to stop the Distribution service is through the QMC (see below image).  This will allow the task that are running to complete and no new task will start.  

Bill_Britt_0-1674047327483.png

Once you click the stop button it will take some time for it to stop, because it is waiting for all the running task to complete. Once it stops the screen will look like the below.

Bill_Britt_1-1674047436092.png

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

6 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

@qwebnm I'd recommend instead of saying "Please answer!" instead say something like "if anyone can help me I appreciate it!"  This may help in the future with asking for help from your fellow QlikView users 🙂

Please tag the version of QlikView you are using, also can you provide some more detail on what you meant by "the problem"

qwebnm
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

QlikView version: 12.60.20200

Meaning of the problem:
I asked about how restarting the QDS service affects other services or tasks!

Any help would be appreciated!

David_Friend
Support
Support

@qwebnm hey good to hear from you, actually we restart QDS service all the time when troubleshooting, QlikView is pretty smart and will know to restart any tasks that were in progress etc.  What is the issue you are running into that is prompting you to restart it?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @qwebnm,

If you need to stop the QDS in order to edit the QVDistributionService.exe.config file, it is recommended to do so when you have a maintenance window or at another specified time to accommodate the stoppage. As @David_Friend noted, any tasks that were running at the time of the service stoppage should restart when the QDS service is restarted.

Best Regards

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

The proper way to stop the Distribution service is through the QMC (see below image).  This will allow the task that are running to complete and no new task will start.  

Bill_Britt_0-1674047327483.png

Once you click the stop button it will take some time for it to stop, because it is waiting for all the running task to complete. Once it stops the screen will look like the below.

Bill_Britt_1-1674047436092.png

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @qwebnm,

Have we answered your questions?

Best Regards