Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView Administration

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Management.

Announcements
QlikView forum consolidation is complete. Labels are now required. LEARN ABOUT LABELS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stefan_
Contributor II
Contributor II

DS Service - Root_ log growing very large very fast

Hi all,

Since last week the log files in C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\1\Log\Root_* are growing very fast at a round of around 300-500 KB per second, maxing out daily at around 26GB.

Each file is filled with the same message over and over again:

21/03/2019 10:30:06.0250396 Error PurgeThread encountered exception.. Exception=System.IO.IOException: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. || || at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) || at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit() || at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost) || at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalGetDirectories(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption) || at QDSMain.FileSystemHelper.PurgeSubFolders(DirectoryInfo logDirectory, DateTime olderThan, Int32& deletedFiles, Int32& deletedDirectories, String logfolder) || at QDSMain.FileSystemHelper.CleanOldLogFiles(String logfolder, Int32 nbrOfDaysToKeepLogs) || at QDSMain.FileSystemHelper.RunPurgeMethods()

The config file has logging off:

<!-- Setting this key to true will enable logging of memory usage and stack trace on "Error" logging -->
<add key="DebugLog" value="false" />
<!-- Setting this key to true will enable logging used for debug. -->
<add key="Trace" value="false" />

There are no reloads running.
We have not installed any updates or new software since this issue arose.
This is a Virtual Machine so corrupt or faulty disks is out of the question.

Anyone know what the issue might be and where to start looking?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello Stefan,

This could be a problem with either the QVPR (the QlikView Repository Database, basically), or the Distribution Service folder content. The mentioning of a purger being involved makes me hope that is the Distribution Service folder and an attempt to purge old log / trigger information. 

If we are talking about a QVPR corruption, that would mean you'd need to find out when the issue started and try to revert back to that version of it. That is relatively simple, since the QVPR takes a backup every day at midnight. See this article (000002996) for details. 

Should this be the first problem I mentioned (QDS folder), then recreating this is probably the first step to fix this. Note that renaming / recreating this folder does not delete tasks. Tasks and triggers, etc are stored in the QVPR.

See this article (kb) for details on how to recreate the QDS folder. 

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello Stefan,

This could be a problem with either the QVPR (the QlikView Repository Database, basically), or the Distribution Service folder content. The mentioning of a purger being involved makes me hope that is the Distribution Service folder and an attempt to purge old log / trigger information. 

If we are talking about a QVPR corruption, that would mean you'd need to find out when the issue started and try to revert back to that version of it. That is relatively simple, since the QVPR takes a backup every day at midnight. See this article (000002996) for details. 

Should this be the first problem I mentioned (QDS folder), then recreating this is probably the first step to fix this. Note that renaming / recreating this folder does not delete tasks. Tasks and triggers, etc are stored in the QVPR.

See this article (kb) for details on how to recreate the QDS folder. 

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

Stefan_
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Sonja,

Thank you!

I started with recreating the DS folder by following the kb article provided.

This has stopped the log Root_ file from growing (it was recreated at 7KB and is still 7KB).

For now, I will keep an eye out and will update tomorrow morning to see if this has permanently resolved this - I'll also gladly accept your reply as the answer obviously!

Thanks again!

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

I hope it works!

MisguidedFirstIncatern-small

Stefan_
Contributor II
Contributor II

Confirmed as solution, thank you very much for the quick response !