Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evgeniya_t
Contributor
Contributor

Deployment of Test(Dev) environment

Hi everyone!

My task is to build test(dev) environment from the scratch. I have a clean server machine, TestServer license and our production environment with apps, data, users.. Our goal is Test environment as a "copy" of production in the context of data, QV applications, schedules of tasks.

I'm trying to plan whole procedure. But I haven't taken part in the installation before. So even after searching the forum there are some open questions for me.

1. Microsoft Windows Server 2019 isn't in a list from System Requirements for QlikView version 12.20 (November 2017) (https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2017/Content/System-requirements.htm ).
This is because at that time Windows Server 2019 didn't exists or is it really better to change platform before installation?

2. Is it OK to run the same QlikView Server installation executable file that was used a year ago during production installation and don't download the new one if we want to install the same version of QV Server in Test?

3. What would be the right way: to copy some folders from our production environment to new server machine first and then install QlikView Server , or vice versa?

According to my understanding the structure and content of folders with qvd, qvw we may copy later. But what about the content of C:\ProgramData\QlikTech ?

And do I need to change configurations in any files after copying?

4. Do we need backup production environment previously? Asking because I found here some posts about situation when after Test Server installation it affects production server and clear some configurations.

5. If the the installation folder fo QlikServer will be D:\QlikView how much available space we need of disk C? Just for content of C:\ProgramData\QlikTech ?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Evgeniya

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Please answers below:

1. Yes, this is the case to a point, but more importantly, if the OS is not listed in the System Requirements, that means it is unsupported, so you may of course choose to ignore that fact and install, but if you encounter any issues with that setup, you will be running an unsupported scenario, so support will be very limited in that regard if we believe the issue relates to the unsupported OS etc.  Hopefully that clarifies that part.

2. Yes, but I am going to mention the other upcoming issue for you which is support for the 12.20 track is ending next month, so at that point you would also be unsupported on the track you are then running too, so I would recommend you seriously consider updating to the 12.50 track at this point to have both the new OS and the track full covered from a support perspective....

3. I would probably recommend you do your folder structure first before doing your QlikView install, be sure everything exactly mimics production in test in order to be able to grab the QVPR and make the service URL changes there to be able to run the same setup with minimal effort.  Here is a link to the Techspert Thursday presentations, you will find some links to presentations I have done on migrating etc., that should assist with things, the most recent one was on migrating, but you may want to check out some of the older ones I did related to just the QVPR too: 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Techspert-Thursday/STT-Worry-Free-Migration-for-QlikView-Server-Publis...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Techspert-Thursday/Troubleshooting-the-QlikView-Publisher-Repository-Q...

Regarding the ProgramData directory, watch the first video above, that should cover things, most everything will recreate there, the QVPR is the key piece needed, but you will need to modify the service URLs before you bring it online, or you will create a mess in your environment, so be sure to watch that video before you attempt things.

4. See above comment, this is the mistake folks make regarding pulling QVPR back but failing to edit service URLs prior to bringing services online, so you end up with two QMS services talking to the same servers which causes the corruption at that point, so ensuring you properly modify the QVPR prior to bringing the test environment services online, will ensure things go smoothly.

5. This depends, I would use prod as your guidance there, see how much space is in use there and then add a buffer to that to be safe, best guidance  I can provide.

I would highly recommend you consider engaging services, as that cost is likely going to be less than if you mess up things trying on your own, just a word of wisdom here...  This way you can learn from the experts, but if you watch the videos, that may get you what you need, but given what you said regarding your experience level, would still be a little concerned about opportunity for errors...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Please answers below:

1. Yes, this is the case to a point, but more importantly, if the OS is not listed in the System Requirements, that means it is unsupported, so you may of course choose to ignore that fact and install, but if you encounter any issues with that setup, you will be running an unsupported scenario, so support will be very limited in that regard if we believe the issue relates to the unsupported OS etc.  Hopefully that clarifies that part.

2. Yes, but I am going to mention the other upcoming issue for you which is support for the 12.20 track is ending next month, so at that point you would also be unsupported on the track you are then running too, so I would recommend you seriously consider updating to the 12.50 track at this point to have both the new OS and the track full covered from a support perspective....

3. I would probably recommend you do your folder structure first before doing your QlikView install, be sure everything exactly mimics production in test in order to be able to grab the QVPR and make the service URL changes there to be able to run the same setup with minimal effort.  Here is a link to the Techspert Thursday presentations, you will find some links to presentations I have done on migrating etc., that should assist with things, the most recent one was on migrating, but you may want to check out some of the older ones I did related to just the QVPR too: 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Techspert-Thursday/STT-Worry-Free-Migration-for-QlikView-Server-Publis...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Techspert-Thursday/Troubleshooting-the-QlikView-Publisher-Repository-Q...

Regarding the ProgramData directory, watch the first video above, that should cover things, most everything will recreate there, the QVPR is the key piece needed, but you will need to modify the service URLs before you bring it online, or you will create a mess in your environment, so be sure to watch that video before you attempt things.

4. See above comment, this is the mistake folks make regarding pulling QVPR back but failing to edit service URLs prior to bringing services online, so you end up with two QMS services talking to the same servers which causes the corruption at that point, so ensuring you properly modify the QVPR prior to bringing the test environment services online, will ensure things go smoothly.

5. This depends, I would use prod as your guidance there, see how much space is in use there and then add a buffer to that to be safe, best guidance  I can provide.

I would highly recommend you consider engaging services, as that cost is likely going to be less than if you mess up things trying on your own, just a word of wisdom here...  This way you can learn from the experts, but if you watch the videos, that may get you what you need, but given what you said regarding your experience level, would still be a little concerned about opportunity for errors...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.