Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II

Disable Document log in QMC

Hello Everyone,

Quick question, how do I disable "Document log" tab from showing up in task details? This was disabled earlier, but after a recent upgrade it's available again.

Thank you.

Doc log.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi! I am not aware of any supported way for disabling this.
Are you sure this had been disabled at some point?
Showing the tab is actually a new feature that was introduced sometime in QlikView 12.xx 

So, if you were not seeing it before (for instance, in 11.20) that was because the tab has not been introduced in the product yet.

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi! I am not aware of any supported way for disabling this.
Are you sure this had been disabled at some point?
Showing the tab is actually a new feature that was introduced sometime in QlikView 12.xx 

So, if you were not seeing it before (for instance, in 11.20) that was because the tab has not been introduced in the product yet.

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, may be that could be one of the reasons. But the earlier version we had was QlikView 12.10 SR8. We didn't have this tab then!

After we recently upgraded QlikView (to version, "November 2017 SR8") there were a couple of issues in QMC, just wanted to check if somehow document logs are causing the issue.

But now a couple of issues are resolved and I don't see any unresolved issues being related to these logs.

Just in case I want to disable this tab, how do I do that? Is it possible?

Thank you.

rubenmarin

Hi, in the properties of each documents (Ctrl + Alt + D), you can check the option to 'generate log file', this generates (or not) the log for that document.

I don't know a way to disable that tab, just to stop generating new logs for the document.

Btw, I don't think the generation of logs causes any issues (besides the disk consumption if there are big logs).
Windows Event Viewer can show an error if this tab doesn't reach the log but I haven't seen that this causes any issue on the server.
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @apoorvasd ,

yes... I checked and the feature was not present in 12.10, it was introduced in 12.20.

I don't expect Document Logs to cause any issue in the QMC. As @rubenmarin said, you can disable them in each document, but the tab won't go away.

As said, I'm not aware of any supported way of disabling this.

If you really want to, I guess you can try to edit the html files in C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QMC, but you would end up in an unsupported environment with a very high risk of being stuck with a broken system. So, I would strongly discourage that, especially since I really don't see any issue coming from having the tab.

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I know the option to enable generating of log files in the same location where QlikView file is located. But wanted to know if it is possible to disable the tab in QMC as mentioned in the screen shot earlier.

And as both of you have mentioned, I do not see any major issue having the tab seen in QMC. So, its okay to be there.

Thank you.  

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Daniele,

I do not see any major issues with the tab being there in QMC.

Thank you for your responses 🙂

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just wanted to post a follow-up comment on this one, there is no 'easy' way to get rid of the Document Log tab, i.e. a checkbox etc., but if you really do want it gone, what you would need to do is modify the Default.htm page in C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QMC and it might require edits to associated JavaScript files too, potentially.  

Side note, doing this would require that you test any new issues you experience in QMC using the original page and JavaScripts as well.  I know you were good with what we provided, I just wanted to explain that there was a way to do it, but there are some caveats with it.  Hopefully this provides a more detailed view for you now.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
flaviogallo11
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everybody,

I am hooking up to this discussion for a problem we are having: In short, the huge space occupied by the folder: "QlikView \ Config \ QDS \ 1 \ Log \ *"

Unfortunately many etls generate log files up to 200mb because there are many cycles in them ... This leads us to have that folder that weighs 170gb.

For us having even 30 days of log can be fine, but I would like to understand if there is a way not to create the "Document Log" that has the execution of the .qvw script inside.

Many thanks

Flavio