Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to delete Category in Qlikview

Hi All, When we create publisher task or directly in user documents we have option to create Categories.  Iwant to know where i can delete a particular category.

THanks for your help in Advance.

18 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The best tool to do this is the XMLDBViewer that is part of the powertools. You just click on the line and delete it.

Untitled.png
Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the XMLDBViewer tool.

Can you let me know how to remove the unwanted category without affecting the Task list?

Regards,

Janaki

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Remove it from the Category XML file and then rerun the task.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

I removed the required task from category.xml file. But since I had not stopped the services the first time I did it, now the QMC is show this error. All the tasks that were displayed earlier are now not shown. They are running on time but just not visible.

QMCError.jpg

As per our discussion yesterday I stopped the services, reloaded the old category.xml and distributiondetail.xml files and restart the services. But still getting the same issue.

Please let me know if you have any solution for this.

Appreciate the help.

Regards,

Janaki

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

I would again replace the two files and just leave the Category that you have added in there. Just don't select it.

Bill

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III

To be clear, you are saying there is no safe way to remove a category now. And since we can't clean up orphaned categories, we just need ignore it in the list.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Phillip,

You can clean them up, but like any file change there are risks. So, make sure you have a backup of the files you modify.

Bill

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III

Do you have an order in how to accomplish this with the best chance of results?

Do we just need to delete it from the categories.xml file or do we need to track the unused ID back through all the related XML files and delete them? I tired using that XMLDBViewer and while it works great for viewing one table, I can't find any documentation on how to use the relationship tab or do add joins in the query designer. I tried T-SQL since that is what I know, but it errors off.

BuTbka
Creator
Creator

We just solved that case successfully.
We use MS SQL for QVPR(for file option it is almost the same)
- Find your category in the Category table(file)
- Copy category ID
- Search that ID in TaskCategory table(file) in CategoryID field
    - If something found then you should change category for that task(s) (you can find task name by TaskID field in DocumentTask table(file) - filed ID)
    - If not you can delete record(s)
- Restart QMC service