Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superfurryanima
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to move user created server objects from one .QVW to another with identical data models?

The reason I ask is that we're retiring a dashboard of ours and have created a new one to replace it with the same data model behind the two files.  Our users would like some of their custom objects migrated to the new version, but we don't wish to migrate everything.

Any insight into whether this can be achieved would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can copy and rename the existing .shared file to match the new QVW name. Then you will need to use the QMC to delete objects you don't want to retain. 

-Rob

View solution in original post

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't know of any utility to selectively move objects.  You can do some bulk updating (like deleting and reassigning) of the shared file using the command line Shared File Tool.  https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/Q...

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can copy and rename the existing .shared file to match the new QVW name. Then you will need to use the QMC to delete objects you don't want to retain. 

-Rob

superfurryanima
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Rob, many thanks for the speedy reply.

To clarify further,  we don't want to move everything because we'd have to delete thousands of objects. The key is that we want to move only a few particular users' objects.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't know of any utility to selectively move objects.  You can do some bulk updating (like deleting and reassigning) of the shared file using the command line Shared File Tool.  https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/Q...

-Rob

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Both of Rob's posts are spot-on, I just wanted to confirm I am unaware of any means to selectively move only certain objects too.  The only thing I could suggest would be to have the users clean up their objects in the old app, then once that is done, then copy the shared file over and do the remaining cleanup, if any, in the QMC...

I am going to mark Rob's posts as correct too given those are the only two solutions of which I am aware.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.