cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rarora12
Creator
Creator

How to transition Qlikview 12 from physical server to Virtal Machine

Purpose..Migrate QlikView application from a 2008 Windows server to a 2016 Windows Server, Virtual Machine.

Best practice is to do the following:2 server architecture
Server1 - QlikView Server, QlikView WebServer
Server2 -- QlikView Distribution Service, QlikView Directory Service, QlikView Management Service

1.Is this 2 server structure recommended with VMs?
2. What should be the server specs, how to dedicate specific memory resources on a VM, as VMs generally share resources?
3. Where do I get the install software for Qlikview?
4. Are there specific instructions on how to do the install ,step by step?
5. Assuming I can copy the file structure over, then assign licenses at the end?
6. Looking for pointers on how to get this accomplished, smoothly, with a small project plan?
7. Assuming I can keep the 2 environments running parallel and make switch over on a weekend?

Thanks in advance all!
Rick
2 Replies
MichaelRobertshaw
Former Employee
Former Employee

Qlik software is available to supported and authenticated customers by following the link from https://www.qlik.com/ > Support > Downloads to https://demo.qlik.com/download/ 

Your architectural and sizing requirements are a function of several considerations:

1. Are documents reloaded at the same time that users are interacting with them? If yes, then consider deploying the QDS, QMS, a failover DSC and the Source Documents on separate fabric than the User-facing components. This is only possible if you do have a Publisher licence, otherwise all components must be on the same machine.
  2. Sizing the back-end Reload server depends on how many documents are reloaded at the same time, and how big those are. If using Loop & Reduce then double the memory requirements of those documents. Remember to install all required database connectivity packages/drivers and configure & test any ODBC System DSNs.
  3. Sizing the front-end server depends on how many documents will be in memory and interacted with at the same time, plus cache considerations for the active user community. Consider also that Concurrent Users require CPU core capacity for concurrent associative queries (each visible visualisation is recalculated at the same time whenever a field selection is made), and the Active Users (logged in and looking at a document but not necessarily waiting for queries to finish) causes additional RAM utilisation for cached objects. The front-end needs to be quite a bit larger than the back-end, and may contain IIS, QvS, primary DSC and User Document folders.

There is some relevant guidance at https://community.qlik.com/t5/Google-Documentation/QlikView-Server-amp-Publisher/ta-p/1526098 that can be used to guide any VM/Cloud deployment of QlikView.

See also https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/latest/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/QVSR...

Installation and Configuration is reasonably trivial. Migration from the older environment requires a little more care involving copying the files into similar locations and editing settings via QMC or directly in QVPR.  I strongly recommend that you engage Qlik Consulting or a Qlik Implementation Partner for assistance, and the work should generally take only 1-2 days unless you are upgrading from a very old release, or have customised components (eg Visualisation Extensions) that need extensive revalidation on the latest product. The duration of the project will depend on how much rigour you need it to have, but the technology parts are not very complicated.

rarora12
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for the response, the migration is from a physical server to a VM or 2 VMs so the different services can be distributed.
The loads need to be tuned to incremental loads for better performance. Ideally we can keep the existing and new server running concurrently and then sunset the physical server once all is migrated over.
Yes we do have the Qlikview publisher service. There are about 200 current users with a cap of 750 licenses for future use.
Please give me some time to look over your response and associated links.
I will respond as soon as I gather more information.
Appreciate the response and thanks!
Rick