Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

I have lost all my User CALs, where should i look to get them back ?

Hello,

last week we had some issues on our QlikView Server and we had to stop and restart the server.

Everything was fine but I have discovered that all the USER and Document CALs had been reset to 0 assigned and all users are now using SESSION CALs..

It's not a big problem because I can add back all people to USER CAL but which files should I look for to try to find all lost licences ? We have a full server backup we may use to get these files back .. I think there are .pgo but can you help us ?

Or maybe a text file where I could find the list .. It would help to be sure anyone has not been forgotten

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Indeed, QlikView Server (QVS) stores all CAL assignments in a file called CalData.pgo. If you can restore that file from your backup, you will be able to recover the previous set of assignments. Make sure that the QVS service is shut down before attempting to overwrite that .pgo file.

Also note that CalData.pgo is present in at least two places. IIRC, they are:

• the currently configured Document root (see QMC)
  • folder C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer

Update both files to get the desired result. Also make sure that your active license specifies at least as many CALs as present in CalData.pgo, or you will get a blank list again.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Indeed, QlikView Server (QVS) stores all CAL assignments in a file called CalData.pgo. If you can restore that file from your backup, you will be able to recover the previous set of assignments. Make sure that the QVS service is shut down before attempting to overwrite that .pgo file.

Also note that CalData.pgo is present in at least two places. IIRC, they are:

• the currently configured Document root (see QMC)
  • folder C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer

Update both files to get the desired result. Also make sure that your active license specifies at least as many CALs as present in CalData.pgo, or you will get a blank list again.

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you are going to shutdown the QVS service, you get a unique opportunity to answer your last question e.g. "Or maybe a text file where I could find the list .. ". You can make the QlikView Server service keep an up-to-date and  readable xml-copy of all .pgo files in the same location as the originals. Very handy to find out who has a CAL assigned, or who did when you change your domainname and suddenly all old domain accounts disappear from the QMC...

Follow the steps outlined in Re: Reading CAL Allocation Details before (re)starting the QVS, and make an (arbitrary) change to the license assignments in QMC. Then visit the Document Root

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for your answer

I have not found why it happened and I have no recent backup of this file. I'll be careful to make one.

That's a nice occasion to tidy the users CAL a bit

Thanks