Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is it possible to switch QVDs for reports at run-time?

Hi,

I have a requirement wherein I will have 200+ concurrent users using a dozen reports running on top of maybe 1.2 billion records amounting to 300GB of data. Out of these, 80-85% users are only interested in summary reports. The rest 15-20% want to get into the details once they have a look through the summary reports.

My question is will I gain any performance/design advantage by using separate QVDs for the Summary vs Detailed reports? Also is there a way I can switch the QVDs real-time, say a "on-click" kind of functionality wherein summary QVD switches over to Detailed QVD? Or would I be better off using a single QVD for both and concentrating on compressing the data for optimized storage and in-memory processing?

Appreciate any and every suggestion/comments and especially any such real application experience.

We will probably have a 12-core server system with 128GB RAM supporting the Qlikview reporting infra.

Thanks,

KC

5 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Switching QVD's or any data source at run time is not going to help you as this effectively means a full reload. With 1.2 billion rows of data that will take a decent time, even when they are QVDs, so your 200+ users will be waiting.

A better solution would be to investigate something we call Document Chaining.

https://community.qlik.com/search.jspa?q=document+chaining

What you do is make a Summery application and a Detail application.

This Summery application will be the entrance for all your users. This application will be a lot smaller then the Detail application and being used by all your users. The result is smaller data set, so faster response ands smaller session sizes so more space in your RAM for caching.

In the Summery application you will make a button that opens the Detail application and transfers the current selection ("state") to the Detail application. This button will only be used by a few people (and you can even hide it for some people if you don't want them to use it).

May you live in interesting times!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You could try the Section Access OMIT functionality to hide the detailed information columns from those who do not need it.  Which means you will only have a single qvw and it will be seamless to your users.

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi

As Onno mentioned, For that kind of level and size i would be looking at document chaining.

Mark

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the response and the pointer Onno. So what you are saying is I have 1 QVD and 2 separate QVWs built on top of that for the Summary and Detailed reports. And these QVWs would then be linked and switched through Document Chaining. Did I get you right?

Or are you saying I have 2 separate QVDs, one for Summary and one for Detailed reports with corresponding QVWs which are linked and switched through Document Chaining? Am thinking out loud here; can this even be done coz I think the Columns (Headers) that determine my state in one QVW have should also be available to the other QVW for the Chaining to work.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Kanad Chatterjee wrote:

Thanks for the response and the pointer Onno. So what you are saying is I have 1 QVD and 2 separate QVWs built on top of that for the Summary and Detailed reports. And these QVWs would then be linked and switched through Document Chaining. Did I get you right?

Yes, you got it  .

You can do it with multiple QVDs if you like, but there is no need for that.

May you live in interesting times!