Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III

Issue with queued job

Hello All
I have a job that i have migrated from Qlik 11.2 to Qlik 12 which no longer works when scheduled in the QMC.
It doesn't actually fail, just shows as "Queued" then after a while disappears.
The job runs manually successfully.
What steps should i take to diagnose where the issue is ?
I can't seem to locate anything in the session or event logs and i don't think there is a Dstribution Log because the job never actually started.
Any advice gratefully received...

Labels (1)
  • QMC

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

hi @Brett_Bleess 

we migrated from Qlikview 11.2 to 12 in April this year.

This was the only Job of 100's that didn't work and was stuck at "queued"

I deleted the task from the QMC after discussions with @Chip_Matejowsky , did a "light" rewrite of the script in the qvw and then created a new task.

The job works ok now.

so to summarise - re-wrote the qvw and created a new task thus in effect "creating a fresh object"

Hope this clarifies

Thank you for making the time and effort to share the articles as well - saves delving around for the info if we have a future issue

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello @timsaddler,

As you have upgraded from QV 11.20 to 12.XX, have a look at Qlik Support articles "QlikView 11.20 End of Life Upgrade: Known Issues and changes in product behavior," "Tasks are not executed as expected and are shown in status Queued,"and "Tasks and reloads do not trigger, are queued, or give wrong status." These articles do a good job of explaining the functionality differences between the older/newer versions of QlikView Server/Publisher.

Beginning in QVS 12.10, overload protection was added to the QlikView Distribution Service (QDS). This protection allows for task queues whenever CPU or Memory usage exceeds threshold values.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Chip_Matejowsky  thanks very much for the help - much appreciated.

So do i need to re-write the query to be more efficient?

Is that the usual process in these cases?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @timsaddler . Ultimately, yes. In the short term, you can adjust the threshold value upward to accommodate for this particular task, while you work to optimize it. Which value is being overloaded? Review the Distribution Service configuration file found in \%Program Files%\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config

The default values are:

<!-- If the CPU usage % goes above this value the machine is considered overloaded and no new tasks will be started. -->
<add key="CpuOverloadLimit" value="75" />
<!-- If the memory usage % goes above this value the machine is considered overloaded and no new tasks will be started. -->
<add key="MemoryOverloadLimit" value="90" />

To change these values, stop the QMS and QDS services, open a text editor (I use Notepad++) and navigate to %Program Files%\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config, and then edit the value and save the .config file. Then restart the services and try the QDS task again.

Please let us know what transpires and if you need more assistance.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Chip_Matejowsky  thanks for confirming - i will rewrite it !

timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Rewrite sorted it - thanks again

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Tim, just one point of clarification, as I was a bit confused reading through the thread, and I wanted to try to be sure this will help others too.  What you mean by rewrite is you recreated the task, or you actually did some optimizations in the application script?  

It is odd that things went into queued state but never ran or failed, that would seem to indicate an issue with the Task info on the QDS side of things, the QDS Application Data folder.  The QMS takes what you do in the QMS and writes that to the QVPR xml files, but then the QMS has to push that info over to the QDS service which then writes its own files, and those are what drive things.  It would appear something may have gotten screwed up in the QDS side of things if redoing the task got things working.  

On upgrades, one thing that can sometimes help is just stopping the QDS service and renaming the QDS App Data folder, then when you restart the QDS service, it and the QMS will repopulate everything as far as the task info goes.  The only thing you lose are your old logs etc., but given new version, you may not care too much, and if you use the Governance Dashboard, those are being dumped to QVD files there...

I am going to leave you one more thing here as well, an Article I did on some key settings in the QMS and QDS that may come in handy down the road:

QMS/QDS exe.config settings to customize

Here is another one on scaling Publisher that may come in handy too:

Scaling out Publisher best practices

Cheers,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

hi @Brett_Bleess 

we migrated from Qlikview 11.2 to 12 in April this year.

This was the only Job of 100's that didn't work and was stuck at "queued"

I deleted the task from the QMC after discussions with @Chip_Matejowsky , did a "light" rewrite of the script in the qvw and then created a new task.

The job works ok now.

so to summarise - re-wrote the qvw and created a new task thus in effect "creating a fresh object"

Hope this clarifies

Thank you for making the time and effort to share the articles as well - saves delving around for the info if we have a future issue

janderooij
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

This was the correct solution for us. Memory was 92%. So the threshold was set to 95% and QV server runs fine.