Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giraldigno65
Employee
Employee

License Lease with Publisher

Hi experts,

I have a question: assuming you only have QlikView Publishers (without QlikView Servers), would it still be possible to do a license lease with the QlikView client, in order to open and edit any dashboard?
At the moment, the only way to license lease is to open a user document with the client, connecting directly to a QlikView Server (and having a named license).
Are there any other possibilities?

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

Hi @Giraldigno65 

To lease a license you have to have a QlikView Server and a user CAL assigned.

Also you can't use the publisher if you don't have a QlikView Server. 

If you don't want to lease a license you have to purchase a QlikView Desktop license

Here is a link to an great article on the subject

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/How-To-Lease-License-From-QlikView-Server-To-QlikView-Deskto...

View solution in original post

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @Giraldigno65,

I agree with @Maria_Halley 's great advice.  The only way to completely avoid using QVS to lease a license for QV Desktop would be to have a stand alone QV Desktop license.  If you don't have one, then license lease is your only option.  Thanks!

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

Hi @Giraldigno65 

To lease a license you have to have a QlikView Server and a user CAL assigned.

Also you can't use the publisher if you don't have a QlikView Server. 

If you don't want to lease a license you have to purchase a QlikView Desktop license

Here is a link to an great article on the subject

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/How-To-Lease-License-From-QlikView-Server-To-QlikView-Deskto...

marcus_sommer

Licence lease refers to the automatic way respectively shortcut to assign a licence (CAL) to an user but AFAIK it's logically the same as manually assigning a CAL to an user within the QMC in the system/licence-tab. I'm not absolutely sure but I think this could be also done (remotely) per (QMC) API respectively the PowerTools.

What kind of scenario do you have in mind?

- Marcus

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@marcus_sommer 

But what would the API talk to if there is no Server? And there still have to be a Server to answer the lease request.

But you can lease a license and then use it "offline" for a month. (I think it is still a month)

marcus_sommer

Yes, of course there must be anywhere an available server. The question is more for which actions needs a publisher an user CAL? To EXCEUTE any cmd-lines or calling the desktop-client? If so why not using the classical method to lease a licence?

- Marcus

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @Giraldigno65,

I agree with @Maria_Halley 's great advice.  The only way to completely avoid using QVS to lease a license for QV Desktop would be to have a stand alone QV Desktop license.  If you don't have one, then license lease is your only option.  Thanks!

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!