cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krumbein
Partner - Contributor III

Making sense of QIX engine log

We are not happy with the UI performance of an installation of a QlikView Server 12.3 SR4

We have thus activated the QIX engine log according to
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Serve...

And I have read what the fields are supposed to mean and I am roughly familiar with the basic anatomy of a calculation. But I am still having trouble making sense of all the data. Especially the different times, that are given and the different method calls. Can anyone point me towards a reason, that would help? I have googled, of course, but couldn't come up with anything

By far the biggest time is spent in method called "Graph::GetChartLayout"

As that can't possibly be the layouting the browser (we are talking about the Ajax client), I can only guess what that might be. The calculation of the min and max axis values? (We are talking about a linear gauge chart)

Thanks!

Labels (2)
13 Replies
krumbein
Author

Hey Brett, thanks for the response.

I thought that the QVDs had been column based for some time, but now everything is back to row based. Never heard about column-based QVWs

Is there more info on that somewhere?

Thanks

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

@krumbein  I lost what I wrote when I went back to check what I wrote previously.  The best thing I think is for you to review the following doc, and Henric's QIX engine video, that will hopefully help, but the major change again from 11.20 to 12.xx tracks is the fact the data models in memory are now column-based, so if your expressions are relying on row-based optimization, that will likely explain the slowness in 12.xx tracks, as the models are now stored as column-based optimized...

QIX Engine 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wevhFK_AID8&t=8s

The latter YouTube link is Henric's presentation on the QIX Engine, I suspect that may prove helpful, hopefully.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
krumbein
Author

Hmm... I already knew the document. I went through it again though and didn't find any reference to column based vs row based. It mentions, that when the average CPU utilization is over 70%, calculations are queued. Is there any more detailed info available about that? Average over what timeframe?

And I have seen the HICs presentation on the QIX Engine (live in Hamburg even :-), but still there is no reference to column-based or row-based.

Sandro

And I have also seen

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Working on trying to get someone else to have a look at things, may take a few days but hopefully can get someone with some better knowledge than me to have a look to see if they can get you what you need here.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.