Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Possibility to automating license lease in QlikView desktop settings.ini

Is it possible to add the licensadress in the settings.ini like

LeasedLicenseServer=qvp://xxxxx

so when you open desktop it is not personal edition?

Do I need to add other variables to get it work?

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @marvin,

No that isn't possible. The only two methods for leasing a QlikView Desktop license are the following two options as detailed in QlikView License Lease Technical Brief and How to Lease License from QlikView Server to QlikView Desktop Client

Option 1: (If User domain and server authentication are the same)

Note: Port 4747 needs to be opened between the Client and the Server

1. Launch QlikView Desktop client
  2. From the menu, go to  File -> Open in Server...
  3. Enter the address to QlikView Server using the qvp protocol (example: qvp://myserver )
  4. Hit Connect
  5. Open a document.  The license is now leased from the Qlikview Server
  6. Close and relaunch QlikView Desktop client. You should now be able to work with local documents and the client is fully licensed.

Option 2: (If custom authentication mechanism is used - v10 SR4 and later)

1. Open the QlikView Desktop client
  2. From the menu, go to Settings > User Preferences
  3. Go to the Locations tab and select QlikView Server AccessPoint (URL)
  4. Click the Modify... button
  5. Enter the URL to the QlikView AccessPoint, configured using Custom Authentication
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Apply then OK
  8. From the menu, go to Tools > Open QlikView AccessPoint
  9. Login using the custom credentials
  10. Open a document if a User CAL has not already been assigned. The license is now leased from the QlikView Server
  11. Close and relaunch QlikView Desktop client. You should now be able to work with local documents and the client is fully licensed.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

marcus_sommer

I just made a few attempts with my local installation if the licence lease by opening of an application could be automated with a vbs-batch. By calling a normal application it opened with a popup with the PE information and if you really want to consume a restore-key. By calling the Getting Started it opened but didn't leased a licence. Also the attempts with calling the applications with qvp:\\server didn't work.

So it seems that this method couldn't be used for it - whereby I have probably not tried all possible combinations or made any mistake ... Maybe some else has more luck ...

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

Beside the mentioned setting you will also need the following settings:

LeasedLicenseExpiry=
LeasedLicenseCheck=

But I doubt that you could simply set them to valid values because it would bypass the logic why a client needs to contact the server to get licensed.

Are there any issues for the users to lease a licence?

- Marcus

marvin
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

We are sending out our desktop with silince installation and I would like to send out the desktops without a instruction to the user. 

There is no problem to get the license the normal way. I am only trying to make it easier for the user.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @marvin,

No that isn't possible. The only two methods for leasing a QlikView Desktop license are the following two options as detailed in QlikView License Lease Technical Brief and How to Lease License from QlikView Server to QlikView Desktop Client

Option 1: (If User domain and server authentication are the same)

Note: Port 4747 needs to be opened between the Client and the Server

1. Launch QlikView Desktop client
  2. From the menu, go to  File -> Open in Server...
  3. Enter the address to QlikView Server using the qvp protocol (example: qvp://myserver )
  4. Hit Connect
  5. Open a document.  The license is now leased from the Qlikview Server
  6. Close and relaunch QlikView Desktop client. You should now be able to work with local documents and the client is fully licensed.

Option 2: (If custom authentication mechanism is used - v10 SR4 and later)

1. Open the QlikView Desktop client
  2. From the menu, go to Settings > User Preferences
  3. Go to the Locations tab and select QlikView Server AccessPoint (URL)
  4. Click the Modify... button
  5. Enter the URL to the QlikView AccessPoint, configured using Custom Authentication
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Apply then OK
  8. From the menu, go to Tools > Open QlikView AccessPoint
  9. Login using the custom credentials
  10. Open a document if a User CAL has not already been assigned. The license is now leased from the QlikView Server
  11. Close and relaunch QlikView Desktop client. You should now be able to work with local documents and the client is fully licensed.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
marcus_sommer

I just made a few attempts with my local installation if the licence lease by opening of an application could be automated with a vbs-batch. By calling a normal application it opened with a popup with the PE information and if you really want to consume a restore-key. By calling the Getting Started it opened but didn't leased a licence. Also the attempts with calling the applications with qvp:\\server didn't work.

So it seems that this method couldn't be used for it - whereby I have probably not tried all possible combinations or made any mistake ... Maybe some else has more luck ...

- Marcus