cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matco898
Contributor
Contributor

QMC Section Access

Is it possible to limit access on the tasks page of the QMC?  I've seen ways to limit access on the documents tab but I'm looking for a way to only allow a user to only refresh certain reports from the QMC?  Thanks.

12 Replies
ajayrai
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi,

You cannot restrict on task level but you can use the document administrator option under the source folder(system tab>-setup->distribution services->general-> Source Folders).

Segregate the applications based on the way you want the task access to be controlled and assign the document admin rights accordingly. Users who are not part of document admin won't be seeing the task for that folder.

Hope this solves your requirement.

Cheers,

Ajay 

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

document administrators is only available with publisher license.

Otherwise, there is no way.

Regards

matco898
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks Ajay, so what sort of responsibilities would the document administrator get?  It sounds like they can create tasks but don't have permission to run tasks.  Is this correct?  Thanks.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The Document Admins will have access to the first two tabs in the QMC and only the tasks that relate to the source folders to which you granted them access, and they WILL be able to run them as well.  In order for them to have access to the Documents\User Documents related to their Tasks, you also have to go to the QVS resource in the QMC and the Folder Access tab and assign them as Doc Admins to the user folders to which you want them to have access, that allows them to set properties on those if need be, so you do not have to do this, but you can.

One caveat here, do NOT change your Source Doc Folders in the QMC if you already have tasks associated with those, as changing things WILL break the task links!  Reconfiguring can be a bit tricky at this point, but probably the safest way to go if you need to create new folders, would be to do that, copy the source doc from its existing source to the new source, then use the task editor in QMC to copy the task info from the original over to the new one...  Once things are good, then you can remove the source doc from the original folder etc.  I just wanted to try to provide some clarification there.  If you already have a decent folder structure to allow things, then you should be in good shape, and if you ever need to change a folder, do it directly in the SourceDocumentFolderResource.xml of the QVPR files, that way the GUID stays in tact related to the folder and the task links will not be broken! 🙂  Clear as mud, right!  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
matco898
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks Brett, the user only seems to have access to the Documents tab and not the Status tab even after I added the source folder in QMC and also added QlikView Document Administrators group in Computer Management. 

matco898
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Do me a favor, instead of using a security group, try a username instead...  Depending upon what version you are running, there was a period where security groups were not supported, but I cannot recall when we changed that, but I am pretty sure they work in the latest releases, but if you are on one of those, I may need to check things.  Let me know what you see with the user instead of group, and we'll go from there.

Cheers,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
matco898
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Brett, I am actually using users already.  Thanks.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I just noticed something else, that group you created is doing nothing, there is no such thing as QlikView Document Administrators security group, only the QlikView Administrators, QlikView EDX or QlikView Management API group, but those are the only three security groups.  The document administrators gain their rights by being assigned to the Source Doc folder in the QDS resource, and that is where I want to be sure you used Users and not a security group...  You have 2 items currently set on the second folder in your resource, are those users specified there or groups?  You did not specify which version you were running either, that may have something to do with things too, but simply by adding a user to the Source Document folder in the QDS, that user should then see the Status and Document tabs of the QMC.  They may only be able to see Source Documents under Documents if you did not also add them to the QVS Folder Access area...

Here are Help links so you can check things:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QV_QMC/QMC_PublisherDocumentAd...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QV_QMC/QMC_System_Setup_QlikVi...

Regards,
Brett