Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agsearle
Creator
Creator

QMC on a two server set up

We have Qlikview on a 4 server set up, 2 for Production and 2 for Testing. On each set we have 1 server for developers and 1 for front end users who access the apps via Access Point.

On the Production servers we use Publisher to publish apps onto the front end user server. However on the Testing server we are looking to use the QMC rather than another Publisher. We only ever have a few apps for testing and don't need the functionality Publisher provides.

My question is, can we still 'publish' apps onto the Testing front end server using the QMC? If so how do we set that up? Or do we have to simply copy any apps across manually to the front end user server?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello!

Before I try to answer the question, I am going to give a quick overview of what our services do, as well as what "Publisher" really means. I am also not entirely sure about what your setup looks like, so I will try to cover as much ground as possible. 

A QlikView server environment consists out of a handful of services:

• QlikView Management Console (for managing the system)
  • QlikView Server service (our QIX engine, does all the hard work)
  • QlikView Distribution Service (the actual publisher, even used to be called that, which schedules all the reloads and launches small qvb.exe processes to reload documents)
  • QlikView Directory Service Connector (for hooking into directories for user authorisation and to do custom directory authentication)
  • and the Webserver / Settings Service for all the AccessPoint presentation, etc

So what is the Publisher?

Without a Publisher licensed, the QlikView Management Console has a restricted range of options.  For one, the Distribution Service cannot be configured. It still needs to be there, but it cannot be configured. All configuration of it (meaning, how many tasks I run?) happens in the QlikView Server settings instead.

And the only tasks that are available are Document Reload tasks with limited trigger option.

The moment you enter the Publisher license, all the extra options are unlocked.

So, if you have two separate QlikView environments, each with its own QMC, but only one of them has a Publisher license, then you can really do exactly what you are looking do with the second one that doesn't have the license activated.

If, however, you have everything in one QlikView environment, all on one QMC, then the Publisher is just.... there. Might as well use it. 

If you have two separate QlikView environments, each with its own QMC, and want to publish from one to the other by pushing documents over to the QVS on the other machine, then that is also possible, but I am not sure if that is what you are after. While you shouldn't connect a QVS to two QMCs (causes problems, yikes), you can "publish to folder" from the machine with the Publisher enabled, simply dropping files into a file share somewhere that the second QVS has mounted as a folder. If you use Windows to do all the heavy lifting on permissions, then that shouldn't be an issue.

But back to the server without a Publisher licensed:

001.png

It allows you to configure the reload engine count in the QVS settings now.

002.png

And any tasks (reloads) that you want to do are now set up directly on the Userdocuments.

That means the documents do not have separate Source or User docs. It is all directly done on one set of documents. 

003.png

So you can set up tasks.

But you can't distribute anywhere else, that is a Publisher only function. You can only reload in place on documents the QVS has in its mounts, and reload on a small selection of triggers.

If you want to distribute, you need to use a Publisher or you need to use a 3rd party copy paste tool to drop the files elsewhere.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello!

Before I try to answer the question, I am going to give a quick overview of what our services do, as well as what "Publisher" really means. I am also not entirely sure about what your setup looks like, so I will try to cover as much ground as possible. 

A QlikView server environment consists out of a handful of services:

• QlikView Management Console (for managing the system)
  • QlikView Server service (our QIX engine, does all the hard work)
  • QlikView Distribution Service (the actual publisher, even used to be called that, which schedules all the reloads and launches small qvb.exe processes to reload documents)
  • QlikView Directory Service Connector (for hooking into directories for user authorisation and to do custom directory authentication)
  • and the Webserver / Settings Service for all the AccessPoint presentation, etc

So what is the Publisher?

Without a Publisher licensed, the QlikView Management Console has a restricted range of options.  For one, the Distribution Service cannot be configured. It still needs to be there, but it cannot be configured. All configuration of it (meaning, how many tasks I run?) happens in the QlikView Server settings instead.

And the only tasks that are available are Document Reload tasks with limited trigger option.

The moment you enter the Publisher license, all the extra options are unlocked.

So, if you have two separate QlikView environments, each with its own QMC, but only one of them has a Publisher license, then you can really do exactly what you are looking do with the second one that doesn't have the license activated.

If, however, you have everything in one QlikView environment, all on one QMC, then the Publisher is just.... there. Might as well use it. 

If you have two separate QlikView environments, each with its own QMC, and want to publish from one to the other by pushing documents over to the QVS on the other machine, then that is also possible, but I am not sure if that is what you are after. While you shouldn't connect a QVS to two QMCs (causes problems, yikes), you can "publish to folder" from the machine with the Publisher enabled, simply dropping files into a file share somewhere that the second QVS has mounted as a folder. If you use Windows to do all the heavy lifting on permissions, then that shouldn't be an issue.

But back to the server without a Publisher licensed:

001.png

It allows you to configure the reload engine count in the QVS settings now.

002.png

And any tasks (reloads) that you want to do are now set up directly on the Userdocuments.

That means the documents do not have separate Source or User docs. It is all directly done on one set of documents. 

003.png

So you can set up tasks.

But you can't distribute anywhere else, that is a Publisher only function. You can only reload in place on documents the QVS has in its mounts, and reload on a small selection of triggers.

If you want to distribute, you need to use a Publisher or you need to use a 3rd party copy paste tool to drop the files elsewhere.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂
agsearle
Creator
Creator
Author

Sonja,

Thank you for your very comprehensive and informative response. You have answered my question.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Glad I was able to help 🙂